𝟏𝟐.

[ NOVI GRAD, SOKOVIA ]

I endeavored to doze off for the remainder of the flight. However, Pietro and Wanda, engaged in boisterous whispers and playful banter in their native language, persistently disrupted my attempts at rest. Each time I managed to slip into slumber, my dreams transported me far from the impending war I was about to face, whisking me away to my home in Germany. There, I witnessed vivid scenes of blue skies, the melodies of chirping birds, and the refreshing breeze from my morning strolls to school. Most importantly, my parents were by my side. The contrast between these serene dreams and the grim interior of the jet, coupled with the subtle apprehension on my fellow Avengers' faces, was disheartening. Nonetheless, I found solace in having experienced an ordinary dream rather than my usual nightmares.

"We are now approaching Novi Grad, Sokovia," announced FRIDAY, Tony's new defense system now that JARVIS had merged with Vision. Rising from my seat, I gazed out the front window, realizing we were heading toward a vast, castle-like structure. Despite a few remaining lights, it appeared eerily deserted, surrounded by mountains and woods, prompting me to question if this was the Sokovia under discussion. The jet carefully landed before the castle, and Bruce and Thor stood behind me.

"Banner, we suspect Natasha may be inside that building. Locate her and extract her," Steve instructed, unintentionally addressing my internal inquiries. "Thor, investigate what Ultron has been constructing in there. Any insights could be crucial for saving civilian lives." Bruce and Thor nodded as the jet's doors slowly descended. Thor exuded determination and confidence, while Bruce seemed uncertain and uneasy, his habitual demeanor.

After ensuring the safety of the two Avengers inside the building, the jet ascended again, charting a course toward the rest of Sokovia. We soared over a vast expanse of snowy trees, approaching the city. I entered the cockpit and gazed at the buildings and streets unfolding beneath us. The imminent struggle awaited everyone below, a conflict thrust upon them against their desires. The fate of those on the ground rested on the shoulders of everyone aboard this jet, myself included, along with the three others a few miles behind in the castle. As my mind threatened to plunge into another abyss of anxiety, Steve's reassuring hand settled on my shoulder.

"Do you remember when you knocked me down?" he asked, his expression unexpectedly gentle. It was a rare sight, considering Steve often bore the weight of leadership with a serious and stressed demeanor. His understanding gaze brought back memories of my father calming me during frustration with school bullies or breakdowns over math homework. "I'd never forget it."

Steve smiled, his bright eyes radiating warmth. "I hope I don't come off as nosy, but I overheard your conversation with Pietro earlier."

Returning his smile, I teased, "For an old man, your hearing is quite impressive."

This time, he chuckled, causing him to grab his chest. "I appreciate it." Steve paused momentarily, his expression retaining its gentleness but his tone taking a more serious note. "You doubt yourself more than necessary. If we didn't believe in your capabilities, you'd still be back home in New York. I knew you'd become an Avenger from when you knocked me down that day." Memories of my confidence and pride during our training sessions flooded back. Despite his wincing, Steve's expression revealed his pride in me that day. "And that's why you're an Avenger now," he continued. "I want you to go out there, throw away any remnants of HYDRA's attempts at brainwashing, and bury them deep in the ground. You are so much more than that. You'll help kick Ultron's sorry ass and save lives."