Chapter 23

Third person pov

"Choji, you sit right here. Don't move." Shikamaru instructed his Akimichi friend, gesturing to the bed. Choji, excited and more than a little nervous, did as he was told. He was going to meet Arron, per Inoichi's request. It was the weekend, and it seemed like Arron wanted to get it over with instead of putting it off. Choji was "nice" as she said, which was a plus. Maybe he wouldn't make her as nervous as everybody else seemed to.

"Okay, okay." Shikamaru was the most shook up about this. He didn't know how Arron would react, and there were so many things that could go wrong. He was usually pretty good at seeing the big picture. He was excellent at figuring out several likely endings to an event, but this meet up was all over the place. He had absolutely no clue just what was going to happen, only that it could go one of two ways: good or bad. There wasn't an in-between.

"Arron, are you ready?" Shikamaru calmed his nerves, and the closet door cracked open. Choji lit up, and Shikamaru scooted closer to the closet as Arron hesintantly inched the door open, her dark eyes glued onto the bright-eyed Choji. He didn't look too threatening before, and he was Shikamaru's best friend. If Shikamaru trusted him, she could too, right? Besides, she'd talked to him like normal people talked. He blabbered theoigh the walkie talkie to her like she was a person and not an object, and she liked that.

"Choji, this is Arron. Arron, Choji." Shikamaru said as Arron slid out of the closet. Choji was grinning like mad, and he raised his hand and gave a very excited and flustered wave as Arron assessed him. He assessed ber back. She was just as Shikamaru had described. Short, too thin and with hair darker than Shikamaru's was. She was also just as pale as he'd claimed her to be. If his mom saw her, she'd have an absolute fit, and start cooking plate after plate for her.

"H-Hi." Choji squeaked out, and Arron flinched in surprise. Choji became sheepish. "Sorry, I'm sort of nervous. But I'm glad to meet you! And uh... Uh..."

"It's alright, Choji." Shikamaru chuckled. This was going alright. Arron wasn't crying. She was just eyeing Choji like he was a lion about to lunhe, which wasn't even that bad. She looked at Shikaku like he was Satan reincarnated.

"Choji." Arron murmured, eyeing him. He sat stock still, too nervous to move. He was clearly considering her feelings. That was nice. Just like Shikamaru. But he also didn't look at her the way everyone else did. With hesitation, nervousness and maybe a little bit of fear. He knew she'd been hurt, but he also knew she was still human.

"That's me!" Choji chirped, looking at Shikamaru excitedly. The Nara couldn't help but chuckle. This was going great! Arron even talked in front of him. She wouldn't even speak in front of his parents, and he'd barely gotten her to speak to Inoichi through the walkie. Maybe this was a sign that things were improving!

Much to their surprise, Arron inched forwards. Towards Choji. Of her own free will. Shikamaru had to stare, and Choji looked like he wasn't sure what to do. "I... I hope we can be friends." He blurted out, unable to keep his thoughts to himself. Arron stared at him. Her eyes were dark like coals, but different in an odd sort of way that reminded him of the night sky. She reached down and grabbed his hand.

"Second favorite." She decided, letting go just as quickly as she'd grabbed on. She stepped back, seeking refuge behind Shikamaru as the dazed Choji processed. Shikamaru wasn't sure what he was supposed to think

Choji's face broke out into a grin, and he fist pumped. "Yes!"

~

It was dark out when he arrived.

She was near. He could feel it as he climbed up the gargantuan wall, his shadowy claws digging into the stone as he pulled himself up it. His figure was large. Bulky, you could say. He was covered in fur: black all over. Like a shadow. His face was small, his beady white eyes close together on his large head, and his nose long and straight. He also had horns. Two on each side if his head. He really didn't have much of a neck.

"Arron." His voice was a deep, growling rumble that wasn't really human. The voice came from within him, although he had no visible mouth. He hoisted himself atop the wall, not hesitating to jump down into the trees below. He let out a small rumbled again, this one more gentle: "Arron."