Chapter Twenty

Chapter Image by the incredible Visenya at The Dark Arts

Chapter Song: Silence by Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan

***

Chapter Twenty

The night's sky lit up with up with a flurry of dazzling colours as spells lashed and tore through the air in a frenzied attempt to reverse what Peter Pettigrew had just done. Lily Potter's unearthly scream punctuated the sizzle of magic as she repeated the same word over and over again. "No!" she screeched, beseeching the heavens. "No, no, no!" 

Harry stood and watched in shock as his father, Sirius and Remus joined her, enraged, flashing their wands and trying to follow where Wormtail had taken Sarah Potter. But no matter how they turned, what magic they tried, nothing happened. No clue as to where Wormtail had gone or what fate laid in wait for Sarah. 

Harry just stood there, Hermione and Malfoy by his side, shaking and fighting the urge to throw up. "This is my fault," he whispered, his words curling into smoke in the freezing November air. "All of it." 

"No," said Remus, who was close enough to hear. "No Harry, you did not do this." 

He reached over and took Harry by the shoulders as Lily folded to the ground, her wand growing dark as she beat the tarmac of the road, her screams turning to sobs. "Sarah," she howled. "Oh my baby girl!" 

James dropped to his knees, and the magic ebbed away as he and Sirius realised the futility of it all. "We'll find her," he said, wrapping his arms around his wife's shaking form. 

But Lily threw him off, sending him flying before scrambling to her feet and lunging for him. "He was YOUR friend!" she screamed as Sirius grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back. She thrashed against his arms, her vicious fury targeting him too. "I let him into our HOME!" She lashed out at him a few more times before the fight blew out of her, and she sagged into his chest, tears running down her cheeks, body trembling as James came back and took her into a hug. 

"It is my fault," said Harry, pushing Remus away and stepping backwards, horror engulfing him like a tsunami. "She's so little, I should have fought back, made him take me, it's me he wants!" He pulled at his hair and walked into the trees, hiding from the moonshine that seemed to glare on him like a spotlight.  

"I can't believe it," said Sirius, stunned. "This can't be real. It's like some sort of nightmare." 

Remus was shaking his head. "We can't fall apart," he said. And then he spotted Malfoy, standing still in disbelief, watching the grief roll off all those around him. "Draco," he said suddenly. "What did Peter mean, when he said you knew the way?" 

"You!" roared James, leaping away from Lily and sprinting at Malfoy to tackle him. "This is YOUR fault!" He managed one swing, narrowly missing Malfoy's face that still had traces of blood on from Seamus' punch earlier, before Remus stepped in and pushed him back. 

"I had nothing to do with this!" Malfoy shouted back, stepping away as Harry's dad tried to free himself of his friend's grip. 

"You're a Death Eater, you show up at my house and my daughter gets KIDNAPPED!"  

"He wasn't supposed to be here!" Malfoy retorted, bobbing behind Remus as he kept himself between them. "We made sure, he would have reported straight back to headquarters, no one else was supposed to be here!" 

James finally calmed a bit and stepped away, running his hands through his hair much in the same manner as Harry himself had just done. Sirius had helped Lily back up on her feet by this point, and her anguish had turned into a tight-jawed fury. "I think you owe us some serious answers young man," she said as the two of them came closer. "Right now."