Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

"What?" exclaimed Harry, too stunned to fully comprehend. 

"Absolutely not," said Malfoy. "Don't be ridiculous." 

"I'm not," said Seamus, and started walking down the path. 

"But," said Harry, looking back towards the house. "You can't, I mean...it's not..." 

"We can help," said Hermione assuredly, and took Harry's hand. 

Malfoy looked as if he wasn't sure if his anger or his incredulity was going to get the better of him. "This isn't homework!" he all but shouted. "This is serious!" 

"This is dangerous!" cried Harry. 

"Shh," scolded Seamus, turning around and walking backwards and indicating the house. "They'll hear." 

Parvati clapped Harry on the shoulder. "You didn't think we'd abandon you did you?" She exhaled, then started walking up the path as well. Malfoy all but growled, then followed. 

"You are not coming, over my dead body." 

"That could be arranged," said Seamus over his shoulder. 

Malfoy scowled as Harry caught up to him, Hermione still by his side but he'd dropped her hand. He couldn't bring himself to look at her right now. He wasn't all that surprised she wanted to help, but there was no way he was letting her come. What were they thinking? 

"This isn't a joke, Finnigan," said Malfoy. 

"Exactly," said Parvati. "Which is why the more help you can get, the better." 

"We're not tagged," said Hermione as the group reached the end of the path, the same spot Sarah had been taken by Wormtail less than an hour ago.  

"You're not trained either," said Malfoy. "And you only just found out you were a witch, what, five minutes ago?" He gave Harry a sideways look. He could tell he wanted to know more about Hermione being there, but Harry wasn't going to explain any more than he had to. 

"Look," said Harry. "I know you guys want to help, and I'm really touched, but this isn't going to be easy. In fact I'm pretty sure it's going to be near impossible and we both might die." 

"Or worse," added Malfoy ominously. 

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Thanks," he said dryly. "The point is I'm not putting you in harm's way." 

"And I'm not leaving you with only Malfoy to cover your back!" argued Seamus, giving the Slytherin a disdainful look. "We know just as much magic as you, and surely five people has to better than two - what if you need to split up, or make a human pyramid?" 

"If you don't trust me," said Malfoy, glancing at his watch on the hand with the scuffed knuckles. "Then that's your problem. We haven't got time for this." 

"Harry," said Hermione directly to him. "Please let me help you, please. It's not that I want to go to a dangerous place, I understand these people are the bad guys, but I can't just stand by, not after what you did for me this evening." She shook her curls off her shoulders and held her hands up. "You've literally changed my whole life, I'll never be the same again." 

"But you don't even have a wand," argued Harry back, feeling bad. "You don't know any spells!" 

"She does now," said Parvati smugly. "I told you." 

"Shut up Patil," said Malfoy. "A couple of first year incantations aren't going to do jack against half a dozen Death Eaters who'll no doubt recognise her much quicker than I did."