▪the end▪

✿ 3 years later ✿

Esme POV

I hold Essibell close; who is she? She's the last connection to my little girl. My sweet Adley Sophia's youngest baby; Adley passed away 3 months ago, just after Essy's 2nd birthday. She fought, fought hard, but in the end... the cancer consumed her. It took my baby before any of us were ready. Her name is half me and half Bella; Bella really helped Adley, especially towards the end. Rose, Alice, the boys... they couldn't bear it. Bella stepped up when we really needed her, a big change to us always stepping up to help her.

I stand by the big window swaying as Essy sleeps on my shoulder, her paci stuck tightly between her lips. Trying to get it from her is like trying to get food from a lion - impossible. She will literally growl at you. It reminds me of how fiesty her mother used to be.

Seth lays by the river, his head on his paws as he stares out at nothing. He does this most days - Edward says if he doesn't phase back soon... he'll be gone for good. Just after the funeral he broke; his poor soul couldn't handle the pain. He can't phase back. He's scared, hurting and I know entirely how he feels.

"Mom?" Jasper calls softly.

I look over. "Mm?"

"You need to hunt." He frowns as he comes over, holding his hands out for Essy.

I instinctively hold her closer. "When she wakes. She only sleeps on me."

"She'll be fine, I promise. I've got her." He looks at me with concerned eyes.

I glance at Essy and sigh, gently handing her over. "Fine... is Ness getting the other two from school?" I check.

"Yes mom, as always."

I sigh and nod; we obviously can't be seen around town, we supposedly left 10 years ago. Careful not to disturb her, I move Essy to Jasper's waiting arms and kiss her head. She cuddles her orange bear with a big sigh and stays asleep.

"Now go hunt. We'll be right here when you get back." Jasper smiles as he rocks her gently.

I smile small and glance back at them as I run out. I stop just behind Seth. "Hi honey... I'm going for a hunt. You want to join for the run?" I offer.

He doesn't move, respond in any way. He just stays laying there.

I sigh and kiss his head. "I'm sorry love." I whisper before I rush off.

I go only to the mountains by the house, killing a couple elk and a lion before I head back. As I near Forks, I stop in the treelines; maybe I need to see Sue... She hasn't been around these last few years, opting to stick to the town and Res rather than straying away to see her son and grandbabies.

I rush through the trees, easily finding the Swan residents; I pull my scarf around my head and slip some sunglasses over my eyes, bowing my head as I go to the front door and knock. I hear someone stand and footsteps near the door; it unlocks, opens and Sue Clearwater stands frowning in front of me.

"Can I help you...?" She asks slowly, her bright eyes examining me. Her and Charlie have recently been enjoying his retirement apparently, traveling across America to various places.

"It's me..." I say slowly and realisation draws across her face. "May I speak with you?"

After a moment of hesitation, she slowly nods. "Please, come in." I nod as a thank you, stepping inside and lowering the scarf as she closes the door. I remove the sunglasses and glance at her. "How can I help you?"