Twelve • Family

Queen Felicity's Point of View

I gulped at his words, "What does the destined one mean?" I asked him. Pain and shock were among other things that I felt when I remembered my past. I am of no royalty, just a poor simple village girl who lived in a small cottage with a caring mother.

Once in my life, I was loved, protected, I felt happy. Even though I tried so hard to remember my mother's face, it was a blur. Was it because my memories slowly faded away? All I could see was her short brown hair, emerald eyes like mine, and her beautiful smile.

"Don't you wonder why you never truly hated a vampire?" Dimitrius asked. Why would I wonder the loss of hate? In fact, I feel free without it. I don't live a constant life of knowing that they are different. In my eyes, we're all equal.

"Hatred is something you never wonder of," I told him. I looked at my hands, gazing at the ring he gave me. "If this ring held my memories, does it mean this is mine?" I asked him.

His expression changed from serious to gloom. Did I ask something wrong? I hope not. He stayed quiet for a long while and I didn't look away from him, I knew there was still something I didn't know.

What could be worse than my five years old self, losing her memories just because she was a son of someone that a vampire hated? What could be worse than being in a family who didn't truly accept you instead, used you to their advantage for power? Would there be something else to top my life?

"Yes, it was yours and it will always be yours," he said with a saddened voice. "There are some memories that you can never remember, Felicity," he added.

"That didn't answer why I am the destined one," I repeated. He stood firm and walked towards the window, clearly, the sun has no effect on him at all. "Dominic at that time didn't know something that I knew. From the moment you grew in your mother's womb, I heard your heartbeat, I smelled your blood, I felt the connection. He thought that you were just a girl but he never knew that you were my mate, most of all, you are a pureblood."

I felt unable to speak after what he had just said. Mate? I never knew that it ever existed. They were only tales of love that I came across in books "Why can't I remember my mother or father?" Pureblood, it meant unmixed ancestry. Am I some part of an ancient family now?

"I watched you when you first came into the world. Your mother and father knew about me, vampires and humans didn't have a war before, your memories were kept for fourteen years, Felicity, either they have faded away or they'll slowly come back," he said but I wanted to know more.

"Tell me about my mom and dad," I told him which he answered, "They let me hold you in my arms and be a part of your life. Not until Dominic knew about you. When the prophecy began, the birth of hatred cut all bonds between us and your kind," he spoke.

"Why would the prophecy revolve around Dominic, you, and me?" I asked which he answered with a voice laced with melancholy, "Because Dominic and I are the oldest vampires known to rule our kind. Without each other by our side, it will signal darkness and hatred like nothing that has ever existed before. As for you, you're said to be the only one to stop it but no one knows how."

A moment of stillness fell between us. Everything that has happened for the past few days was such a mess. "Is that why you're keeping me here? To kill an old wicked vampire? Then why are you still hurting my family,  let them go!" I demanded, using a voice of authority.

"I'm not keeping your family for your sake, Felicity. Your family did nothing but to add the conflict between our kinds. I'm simply letting them know who has the power now." He said it like he looked at my family as a puppet. They may be stronger but humans are not weak.

"You took their memories away, Dimitrius!" I screamed, not caring who would hear me." I took their memory of you." That's when I couldn't bear to look at him anymore. He removed me from their life, for a mate that he called me, he's not treating me even close to one.

I stood on my feet, aiming for the door. I'm not trying to escape, I just want to be away with him. how is he different from Dominic? Cruel, unjust, ruthless. Without looking back, I ran only to be stopped by someone gripping my arm.

"I wouldn't do that again if  I were you," he forewarned. "How would you feel when the only family you had left have forgotten about you? If I were you, I would use my vampire speed and run for the hills!" I yelled.

He let go of my arm and pushed me against the wall. Both of his hands trapped either side of mine and he leaned in, closing the small gap between us. his face was inches away from mine and I didn't bother to wriggle out of his hold. Then, he whispered,

"They're not the only ones you considered as family."

After the awkward position that we were in, he let go. Only then did I realize that I was holding my breaths. He gestured me to follow him to a room that didn't seem familiar. When he opened the door, I fell down to the ground when I was tackled into a tight hug.

"Mary!" I exclaimed and hugged her back. "Did they hurt you?" I asked. After she finally stood up, she had a happy expression and said, "No! vampires don't hate me, princess." I looked at her and Dimitrius with confusion but he answered my look by saying,

"She cared for you all these years, I made sure no one lays a finger on someone you truly love."

Even with the anger, I felt earlier, a simple act like this made my heart swell. At least, I have the person who was there for me when I needed someone at the most.

"Thank you," I whispered to him. For now, it's enough. No more questions about the prophecy, my identity and everything else that's unsettled. Maybe having Mary by my side will give me a sense of comfort.

"Miss me, Felicity?" Mary asked when my arms tightly wrapped around her suffocating her. "Where were you?" I asked her.

I expected a serious answer but she laughed, "Dimitrius wanted me to leave you for a while and let him show you everything. I was here the whole time, I was the one who treated your wounds before," she explained.

"I'll leave you two here, Mary, show her around," Dimitrius said before he walked outside the room but I called him before he completely vanished.

"Dimitrius?" I said which made him turn around. Then, I reminded him, "I keep my word. Identity in exchange for blood. You only have to ask."

He gave me a nod of agreement before leaving and closing the door. If he thinks I'm afraid of a simple bite, I am not, I've let other vampires feed on me before as my way of help whenever my people have gone far too much.

A bite from him wouldn't hurt as much, right? Well, I guess the only way to find out is when I let him do it which is anytime from now.

• • • • •

Hello readers, thank you for making my book reach 2.41K reads! I would have never done this without you. I'll never stop thanking your support for my story because you are my inspiration to write more. I hope you continue sharing, voting, and commenting your ideas. I love you all!

1.) Did you guys like this chapter? I hope you did, I lengthened it to 1,300 words for you!

2.) Were you surprised that Dimitrius and Felicity were once mates or the fact that the bond was severed?

3.) What do you think of Mary?

4.) When do you think will Dimitrius bite Felicity for the end of their bargain?

5.) Tell me what you think will happen in the next chapter!

That's all for today, see you on the next update! I hope you're liking this story so far.