PROLOUGE

< : > : Harlow : < : >

Grinding my teeth I lay in the bed ready to rip my hair out. This was the fifth day that this number called my phone just minutes after one in the morning.

It was ONE IN THE FREAKING MORNING!!

Why was this person torturing me? Why the hell weren't they asleep?

I've looked at this number for the past five nights and thought to myself why not just answer?

I don't want to talk to anyone at one in the morning. I don't want to talk to a voice animated machine, a drunk person, a sober person, or some creature of the night! I wanted to sleep. I needed to sleep. My body needed at least eight to ten hours of beauty rest especially if I spent the previous eight plus hours doing my hair.

Grabbing my cell I was fired up ready to give whoever was on the other line some not so nice words for bothering me like this but the vibrations had stopped.

THANK JUPITER!

Plugging my phone back into the charger I sat it on the nightstand rolling back over to close my eyes .. .. ..

just

to

not

fall

asleep

"What the piss?!" I yelled at my ceiling grabbing the pillow behind my head covering my face with it to scream.

This was ridiculous! I deserve a night of undisturbed slumber.

Screaming in the pillow I rolled over to my stomach turning my head and closing my eyes hoping that sleep would fine me soon. I tried to think of nothing.

Darkness . . . Eternity of darkness. No one to bother me. No one to ask if I ate dinner like my parents did almost everyday.

I loved my parents but I knew how to feed myself. I didn't need to be asked if I ate because I hated lying to them when I didn't and I'm sure that they knew I was lying because they're my parents and parents tend to know that kind of stuff.

I'm sure they're sleeping soundly in their king size bed in their quiet neighborhood where all the children are sleeping soundly because they had school in the morning. Unlike at my place where my neighbor who was a single dad, always left his sixteen year old son alone until whenever. I lived in a townhouse and shared a wall with the family of two on my left which was fine until little Mark decided to have a party while his dad was at work. The kids didn't drink but they smoked and it reeked badly plus their music taste made me want to pour cement in my ears.

There have been a few times I thought about letting Mark's dad know what he was up to but then what would that do? His dad obviously couldn't come home to make sure he wasn't partying and I sure as hell wasn't offering to do it so in my house I stayed thankful that the little boy was not home tonight. Maybe he was with his mom or grandparents or even at a month long camp.

It had been silent like this for the past five days and what was I doing these past five days?

WAITING FOR MY PHONE TO STOP RINGING!

Maybe I should put it on silent . . .

but what if something happened to my parents and the hospital was trying to get a hold of me?

I would never forgive myself.

Rolling on my side I looked towards my window wondering how warm was it outside.

Maybe I should put some white lights around my window. That would be a pretty touch. Leaving the window open letting the cool night breeze in on summer nights like this. I didn't have any lights so I would have to go to the store tomorrow and buy some . . . also nails and a hammer to hold them up. Could I use tape instead? I really didn't want to put holes in the wall no matter the size but a small nail hole couldn't be that bad. It would be smaller than a dime.

White lights

Nails

Hammer

What if I got purple lights instead of white? That would be really pretty and different.

Yeah, I'll get purple instead.

"I should be asleep."

Closing my eyes I tried to think of things that made me happy.

Happy thoughts . . .

Happy thoughts . . .

What made me happy? . . . My parents make me happy.

I wonder if Dad would help me put up the light in my room. I'm sure he would ask me to make him some kind of food as a payment for his service. Last time I made Snickerdoodle cookies and he really liked those saying they would go great with some ice-cream.

I could possibly make some homemade ice-cream and then make them into Snickerdoodle ice-cream sandwiches . . . Ice-cream sandwiches sound so good right now.

Purple lights

Nails

Hammer

Vanilla Ice-cream

"Do I have all the ingredients?"

Sitting up I unplugged my phone unlocking the screen to scroll through my social media. My mind was going everywhere that wasn't sleep and it's all that person's fault. Tomorrow morning I was going to beat them to the punch. I was going to call them first and give them a piece of my mind then hang up leaving them no room for an explanation.

"Yeah, that's what I'll do."

< : > : < : > : < : >