Chapter 18 - Harassment

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It's been... 2 weeks since my last confession." Elizabeth spoke softly, her voice slightly higher than a mid whisper.

As an assignment from her religion class, she must visit the schools chapel for confession everyday of the week for one week and have the priest acknowledged her and her class number for credit.

"Tell me, what are your sins child?"

She frowned for a moment, the voice that hid behind the screen door was not the one of their regular schools priest, yet still the voice was familiar.

" I um... have said the Lord's name in vain a few times," she pondered through her mind going over everything else she felt could be considered a sin. " I have had ... ill thoughts of my peers..."

I wanted to give my body up to my  boyfriend... it was on the top of her tongue but she would never spit it out.

The priest smirked, "I sense as though, there's a heaviness in your heart. Am I wrong?"
Elizabeth felt her cheeks grow hot.

"Father?"

"I have not been doing this for long, so I could be wrong," the priest paused for a bit, Elizabeth's heart was beginning to increase in pace as though preparing for a mile run.

"However , in my short time inside these wooden booths I have started to pick up when people keep what's in their hearts hidden ... from the world and from God."

She felt his eyes on her through the small holes, why did his face look familiar?

"But I tell you... God sees everything ; God knows everything. Even the deepest desires of your heart."

Elizabeth was hearing his words but could not focus on them, she was too busy trying to piece together who was the person hidden behind the thin wall. She had done confessions inside the school previously and always spoke to one of the older priests that lived within the schools 4th floor rectory.

But this voice was strange yet familiar.

"May I ask what is it that you're hiding in the depths of your heart, Elizabeth?"

Her eyes shot open as her body backed up against the wall. She knew that voice, it was from the one person she was hoping to stay away from as much as possible.

"Father ...Beckford?" She stammered, immediately feeling cornered. That familiar sense of dread crept up her spine as she gripped her bag ready to burst through the door and out the chapel.

The priest giggled "We are closer than last names Elizabeth, I've told you before there's no need for formalities. Now, I know you need the credit for your assignment and it just so happens that half the priests at this school are on a mission in Guatemala and the one who regularly does confessions is bed ridden from the cafeteria food poising; I find myself here... alone with you. I shall confess that I am utterly pleased considering the fact that you have stopped coming to mass. I am however, disappointed that you did not include that in your confession this evening."

Elizabeth tried to steady herself, surely she's safe inside the school right? Surely... he wouldn't touch her in this sacred place. " Father I.... I haven't had the time ... I-"

James cleared his throat to cut her off, " Now now... don't lie. We're in the chapel so show respect and reverence Elizabeth."

James turned his gaze towards her, focusing on her bright green eyes through the thin wall, the closer he got the closer he could breath in her scent. Like a wolf trying to corner his prey, his fingers clenched on his black robe wishing they could claw through her school uniform.