NINE

< : > : Chapter Nine : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

"Harlow!!"

"What's wrong? Why are you yelling?"

"You think I'm ugly don't you?"

"What?"

"Shut up Prichett . . . Harlow, it has been brought my attention that you haven't asked about Skyping so I figured that either you're amazing at catfishing or you actually think I'm ugly and don't want to look at my disgusting face."

"Phoenix -"

"You won't hurt my feelings Harlow. Just tell me the truth. I can take it."

" . . . . "

"She's not saying anything! I told you this would scare her! . . . No it doesn't mean she's catfishing me."

" . . . . "

"I'm not ugly so that's not the problem . . . You don't know anything Prichett hush . . . Harlow are you still there?"

"I was going to ask if you wanted to video chat but I was afraid of . . . you know, rejection."

"Rejection?! I've been waiting to Skype you for weeks. I just didn't want it to seem like I'm moving too fast or anything especially if you had a boyfriend - oh shit! I never asked if you had a boyfriend!"

"I wouldn't have told you that I liked you if I did."

"So you meant you like me more than friends, hm?"

"I uh . . . I -"

"Why are you so afraid of telling me how you feel? I have no problem doing it."

"Because this is crazy! . . . Phoenix we've barely known each other three seconds and I can't stop thinking about you! . . . I talk to you before bed every night and even dream about you. I think about you during the day and what deployment is like for you. I think about our phone calls excited for the next one. You don't think all of this is a little I don't know, weird? You don't think we're moving too fast?"

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"You want to slow things down?"

"Maybe we should . . . I don't know."

"Would it help if I stopped telling you how I feel? I can try not to flirt with you so much."

"Um . . . maybe ."

"And I can stop calling you everyday. I'm sure you would like to sleep through the night, right?"

"I've kind of gotten used to it now."

"I love how you've gotten used to talking to me but I can ease up . . . For the next three days I'll let you sleep, okay? Get your beauty rest and all that good stuff. Maybe you won't have to drown so much coffee before work."

"I feel like I should be saying thank you but . . . I'm not sure."

"Harlow, I don't want you to continue feeling like we're moving past our friendship status too quickly. You know how I feel so I won't repeat it and I know you like me . . . so for now we'll leave it at liking it each as just friends and take our time at that. Afterall, I'm still deployed and I can't take you out on a date or anything to make you feel more confident in your feelings and for that I am sorry."