Chapter 7- Slide

To What I Owe You

Chapter 7- Slide

"So much happened between the two of you, and you stuck through it all with him, why?"

"There was a lot going on in our time of knowing each other, but it was like I couldn't fold on us; even if that shit killed me."

~~~

"Add pickles to that burger for me Kadeejah." Chasity stated before sliding the tray with the burger on it to me.

I put a glove on and reached in the pickle bucket before grabbing three, and slapping it on the burger. Afterwards I set it on the 'out' table for Mr.Tony to give to the customer. After that I untied my apron, and started heading from the back where I grabbed my jacket, before coming back out front.

"I'm gonna go on break." I called out.

Everyone waved me off before I dipped from around the counter, and headed outside. It's been my thing lately, being outside away from the grease, and the stuffy ass kitchen. It calls for a lot of folks to try, and holla at me per usual , but I've gotten in the habit of keeping my head low, and my mouth shut. My break is my break, not some relationship interview.

I kept posted up against the wall outside the building for a second taking in everything, and everyone around me. After that split second was up I walked to the building beside ours, and took a seat on the steps outside of it. The building has been vacant for as far as I know, and usually any, and everyone kick it on the steps or just around it, lately it's become my spot to post up on breaks and somehow it's like everyone knew, and respected that ever since I've started coming out here. I'm glad too, less shit for me to say, and one space I get to myself outside of this sweat shop.

"Well, well, well." I heard someone state before a shadow casted over me

Looking up I put my hand over my eyes to block the sun, and get a better look at the person, when I saw it was the guy from Walmart some time back I laughed, and shook my head before getting back to my phone. "Well, well, what?"

"We meet again."

"I mean you do work around the corner,
beloved."

"I do," he admitted before plopping down beside me.

It forced me to roll my eyes again before I turned my phone screen off, and sat the phone on my lap. Here I was enjoying every bit of my peace, and now here he comes making himself comfortable. It lets me know he'll probably be just as aggressive as he was in Walmart, and honestly had it been someone else I'd just get up, and leave, but considering how funny buddy was the first time we met I guess I won't really mind his presence.

I put my head on my fist, and looked over at him. He smiled wide at me making me laugh again. "So what's up?"

"Just left the barbershop, what're you doing around here, getting something to eat?"

"Nah, I work there." I explained, pointing to the restaurant.

"Word?"

"Yup, Yup."

"Damn free beans on you huh?" He questioned.

I laughed a little, and shook my head. "Out of everything on the menu."

"Thought it was reasonable," he shrugged. "Alright 21 questions, ready?"

"No because I have just about 21 minutes left on my break, and they won't be spent playing with you." I explained.

I started to stand up, but he grabbed my hand tugging me back down, and I looked at him like he was crazy for A) even touching me, and B) grabbing me with all that force like he had lost his mind. He realized that I wasn't feelin' that bullshit so he raised his hands in the air looking at me with sorrow in his big brown eyes.