4: Traditions

Mageia's hand trembled around her cup of apple wine. Doubt about this rescue threatened to sprout wild into her anxiety. Who knew the day would end with such a risky mission? The streets would be extra crowded with people beginning their parties early and extra authorities posted on every corner.

She peeked out from one of the bakery's front windows, keeping in the shadows of the curtains to watch a world stuck in its ways. Already the streets and the shops were decorated with the kingdom's national shades of green and other bright colors. Smoke from fooderies puffed high into the sky, hoping to lure old and new customers to their doors throughout the night.

The Annual Fair Ceremony always came the second month of the year when Mesori, the air goddess of weather, seasons, fortune, and war, would fully reveal her precious spring and the beauty that came with it. It would start at midnight and end on the midnight of the third day. Six Strange from all crosses of life are sacrificed at the Diviine Temple on the first midnight. But this time, it would be children.

"Lisa," Mageia said.

Trekon's wife shifted in her chair at the table, where she sifted through her new pile of valuables. "Yes, hun?"

"Are you sure they're only sacrificing adults tomorrow?"

"Yes, as I know of," Lisa said. "I would burn down the palace if they'd allow such a wicked thing and kill children on the Sacred Day."

Just hearing of the Sacred Day made Mageia shiver on the inside.

However, instead of six, seven people, known as the Sacred Seven, would be sacrificed at midnight under a full moon. And though she despised any kind of execution, tomorrow's would be the cruelest.

"I would be right there, giving you a hand," Mageia said.

"You should get from that window, or you'll be spotted," Lisa said.

Mageia pushed the curtain close and came to sit at the woman's table. For the safety of their guest, and to Mageia's disapproval, they had served the remainder of their customers and kindly asked everyone to leave under the impression of preparing for the nightly festivals. Trekon's family were always so courteous, and she prayed for the Diviine Six, or maybe the Ordained, to bless them abundantly.

"Do you sell well?"

"I do." Lisa winked. Her cheeks were extra perky, and blushed from her overall excitement. Lisa told Mageia her story once about how she grew up in her father's jewelry shop in Hiilaan. How she used to be a respectable noble thanks to her parents and to marrying a Knight Escort. She had dreams of owning her own handmade jewelry shop, but her unfortunate defect, which she refused to tell Mageia, almost marked her as Strange. Their noble life slowly dwindled into the middle class. And then there were a few royal taxes and constant visits to Checkings that also aided in her dreams never blossoming into reality.

"I clean them all, refurbish the designs, polish them, and even add trinkets here and there to avoid owners recognizing their jewelry," she squealed. "I bounce from market to market to avoid the same crowds. But overall, I make enough to start a side savings."

"Very good, Lisa."

"I must say, you are a brave girl to do rescues," she said. "Have you ever thought about joining the Blesseds?"

Mageia scrunched up her nose and thought of those four people who were executed earlier on the Rimly Dais.

"No. They do more than just rescue unfortunate people," Mageia said.

"Yeah, they're known to take a life from time to time," Lisa added.

"And do riots.... No. I think I want to keep my family away from that."