Chapter 47 - The Strange Case of Mr. Reynolds

"Well?" I ask Suzie as she skims through the stolen textbook, lounging on Michael's gaming chair.

She mutters a few facts as she traces her finger against the page. "All five of the great packs–—Silvermoon, Bloodmoon, Dawn, Dusk, and Moonlight—went to war against a nation made of rogues, the Eclipse." She shows a picture of the territory they fought over.

Michael takes a picture of the page.

Suzie continues. "Silvermoon and Bloodmoon led the resistance, but when the war was over, Bloodmoon turned on us."

That's the part that doesn't make sense. "Why?" I ask.

"Because they wanted more land than was originally theirs." Suzie closes the book. "Or so this thing says."

"You don't believe it?" Michael asks.

She gives a 'what do you think?' look.

He gives a 'my thoughts exactly' look.

I stare at the item in question. "Can I see that?"

"Knock yourself out." She hands it over to me.

I'm about to use something I've never used before—the additional resources section. I flip to the back of the book, glancing over the various titles. Something stands out to me immediately. It's actually so apparent that I have to close the book and look at the front.

You've gotta be kidding me.

"Why didn't we notice it before?" I ask.

"What?" Suzie walks up to Michael's bed, sitting beside me. Her face falls. "No."

"What?" Michael's eyes dart between us. "Your father's evil, isn't he?" he asks her.

I turn the book towards him, pointing at the third author. Reynolds.

He shakes his head, giving Suzie a dirty look. "I knew your father was evil."

"That's the old man, you fool," she says.

"Oh, my bad." He chuckles sarcastically. "Your dad just teaches the class."

At first, Suzie looks like she wants to strangle him, but then she seriously considers it. "Hm." She rubs her chin.

What's wrong with these two? "The point is," I start. They look at me. "We have like a day to get to him."

"Get to him?" Suzie asks.

I nod. "We're gonna have to talk to him to find out the truth."

"The truth of what?" she asks. "The truth about how he'll lead you straight to your death?"

"There's no other way," Michael says. "The answer's always been him. The more we try to avoid him." He jabs a finger towards the book. "The more he pops up."

"I agree," I say.

She groans.

I shrug. "You've been outvoted."

"Outvoted?" She cocks her head back. "Since when has this been a democracy?"

I've been outvoted over forty times according to her. What is she talking about?

She adjusts her turtleneck, fluffing out her hair. "Fine. If you wanna get yourself abducted, be my guest. Just make sure to leave me as your successor in your will—"

"If you joke about that again, I'm gonna throw you out the window," I say.

She cocks her head back. "Oh I see. Long live the king." She narrows her eyes.