Chapter 29 part 2

Bryan got out of the patrol car and waved at the driver, a young man only six months out of the academy.  "Thanks."

The black and white drove away as Bryan turned to look at Jessica's building.  It was the middle of the night, but he had to make sure William wasn't here.  He'd sleep in her hallway if he needed to, to make sure she was safe.

On the first floor, there was a light on.  Bryan counted the windows.  It was Jess' apartment, probably her living room.  Why would she be awake at this hour, and more importantly, why would she need to turn on a light?  The possibilities clicked through Bryan's mind, all of them bad.  William could have made it here before he did, possibly.

He stepped to the sidewalk and scanned the area, to be sure William wasn't in sight.  Then, he saw the car, halfway down the block.  Westen's sedan.

"Son of a bitch."  He stood there, let his breath ease down.  It was the doctor inside Jessica's apartment, not William.  After a moment he began to think through all the ways that might be just as bad.

He went inside and hurried down the hallway.  As he got close, he heard Jessica's voice through the door.  "I've heard quite enough, thank you."  She sounded tense, forceful.

He knocked and there was utter silence for a long moment.  "It's Detective Mickelson.  Ms. Moore, are you in there?"

Almost immediately, the door swung open wide.  Jess gave him a quick smile and Bryan saw the doctor sitting on the sofa.  She rose to face him.

"And just what are you doing here at this hour, Detective?"  Her voice was neutral, but the insinuation was easy to catch. 

Bryan kept his eyes locked on her.  He'd had a glimpse of the dress Jess wore when he came in, but he couldn't study its neckline any more with Westen there.  "I think I'm here to arrest you, doctor."

The small smile on her face straightened into a neutral line.

"Go out to your car.  I'll speak with you there.  If you leave, I will have a patrol car pick you up and will add resisting arrest to your charges," he said.

She didn't move.

"Doctor.  Go.  Now.  I'm going to interview Ms. Moore to find out just how much you've been interfering with this investigation."

After another moment, the doctor gave up her stonewalling and brushed past him out the door.  He watched her go down the hall to the inner vestibule door and turned to Jess.

"I take it she was bothering you," he said.

She laughed.  "Maybe.  A little."  She stood close to him, her dark dress sheer as it brushed against his fingertips.  He caught the hem between finger and thumb without knowing, but didn't let go when he realized it.

"What did she say?" he asked.

Jess shook her head.  "Nothing important.  Tried to scare me about William.  Like I need some doctor with a personality disorder telling me who to be afraid of."  Her hand came up, rested on the middle of his chest, warm and strong.  Her voice became a whisper.  "William was here, outside."

That brought him back.  "What?  When?"

"Just minutes ago.  He was waiting outside when I came home.  He must have been there for hours."

He shook his head.  "No.  He was with me.  There was an incident, across town, we were both there."

She was silent for a moment, but left her hand on his chest.  He was thankful she did.  It had been a hard night.  He was tired and the warmth of her hand was the only comfort he could remember feeling.