Chapter Thirty-Eight

Asami's POV

It was too painful to believe. So I chose not to believe it. Something dark took a hold of my heart. It grabbed it, gripped it and started to slowly close its palms, tighter and tighter. It felt harder to breathe and harder to see.

I wanted it to stop. But I knew the only way was to see the truth for myself.

I followed the map and headed towards the area that Mako was hiding in, where Korra currently was after she left Bolin's house. I paced and ran, then sprinted to get to where she was.

As I got closer, I noticed a familiar figure across the street. She stood there and glanced around her. To other people, she would've looked just like any person. Just minding her own business and buying essential things. But to me, she looked distressed. She was lost and afraid. She looked around once again, not once realizing I was there. From here, I could tell her mind was too clouded to truly see anything. Not even me.

But before I could process anything, something grabbed my arm and pulled me downwards. I turned and was greeted by Mako. He was crouched behind the rock that I was standing next too.

"What are you doing? She could've seen you." He warned.

"She didn't."

He stared at me silently, guilt clouding his eyes.

"I'm sorry."

I let out a deep sigh, before taking a peek again over the rock. Just then, Korra came out of a local hunting shop, carrying a small bag in her hand. I didn't have to know what was inside to know that it couldn't be good.

"Mako, stay here. I'll follow her and talk to her,"

"But you-"

"Just stay here." I pleaded. He gave a small nod and I paced across the street, making sure she couldn't see me. I continued to follow her as she went inside the park. Our park.

"I know you're following me." She called out. Her back was turned towards me as if she was afraid to look at me in the eyes as if she would break. She didn't turn around. I came out of the bushes and stood behind her.

"Korra, what's in the bag?" I asked cautiously.

"It's none of your business." She replied coldly.

"Yes it bloody is!" I yelled. A couple of strangers turned our way, exchanging glances and murmurs.

"Look, please just tell me the truth. Did you really want to break up with me?" I pleaded, trying to control my voice from breaking. I needed to be strong, or at least pretend to be.

She didn't answer.

"Korra. I love you. I'll always love you. No matter how many times you try and push me away, I won't let you go." I tried to remain calm, but it was my voice that gave away first, then my eyes were clouded as my tears flowed. I tried to wipe it all away, but I couldn't stop it.

All this time, Korra didn't look at me.

"I'm sorry."

That was all she said. After that, she left. She walked away from me as I continued to shed tears. On my own. In that lonely, quiet park.

~~~~

"Did you find out anything?" Mako asked curiously as I sat on the bench beside him. I found him sitting on it inside the shopping mall. I watched him as he stared at my swollen eyes. Thankfully he didn't ask anything.