Scarecrow

I sat up, was he okay? "Dad? Are you hurt?" Sam asked, suddenly much more awake. "We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay... We're fine. Dad, where are you?" Dean sat up and looked at Sam, "What? Why not?" Sam asked, staring ahead. "Is that Dad?" Dean asked, propping himself up on his elbow. Sam ignored us and kept talking, "You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mom," a look of shock went over his face before he started questioning, "A demon? You know for sure?" That got Dean's attention, "A demon? What's he saying?" Sam ignored Dean again and clenched his jaw, "You know where it is... Let us help, why not?" His voice was getting more aggressive with each small statement. I squeezed Sylvester to my chest. "Give me the phone," Dean used his stern voice, Sam still wasn't listening. "Names? What names, Dad-talk to me, tell me what's going on? No. Alright? No way." Dean leaned over me, "Give me the phone," he snapped as he snatched it from Sam. "Dad, it's me. Where are you... yes, sir... Uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?" Sam stared at the wall with his jaw clenched as Dean grabbed a notepad and pen and started writing.

As soon as Dean got off of the phone with Dad, we were packing up and back on the road. "Alright, so, the names Dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam was sill trying to wrap his head around what we were doing, I was letting him ask all the questions to do the same. "Three different couples. All went missing," Dean explained as he skimmed over a paper. "And they're all from different towns? Different states?" Sam asked, I think that was the second time he'd asked that since we'd gotten in the car. "That's right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again," Dean glanced at Sam, I was barely staying up in the back. Dean had been researching all day on this. "Well, it's a big country, Dean. They could've disappeared anywhere," Sam argued, I knew he wanted to go find Dad. I did too, but this had to be important if Dad was calling us about it. "Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another," Dean's voice trailed off as focused on reading. "This is the second week of April," Sam told him. "Yep," Dean popped the p. "So, Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?" Sam asked, he sounded like he was trying to wrap his head around it all. "Yahtzee. Can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? All the different obits Dad had to go through? The man's a master," Sam looked annoyed and pulled over, "What are you doing?" Dean asked as I sat up, suddenly feeling much more awake. I knew what was coming. "We're not going to Indiana," Sam said, staring ahead. "We're not?" Dean asked, his eyebrow raised. "No. We're going to California. Dad called from a payphone. Sacramento area code," Ssm told him quietly. "Sam..." Dean's tone was full of warning. "Dean, if this demon killed Mom and Jess, and Dad's closing in, we've gotta be there. We've gotta help," Sam tried to reason. I grabbed my blanket from the seat beside me as Dean started with a sigh, "Dad doesn't want our help." Sam snapped, "Well I don't care," I curled up in the backseat and pulled the blanket over my head, maybe it would block out the sound. "He's given us an order," Dean told him, like it was an excuse. "I don't care. We don't always have to do what he says," Sam's voice was firmer with each sentence. "Sam, Dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives, it's important," Dean said, trying to get Sam to see reason. "Alright, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge," Dean told me revenge was never the answer because then you'd end up like Tom and Jerry forever. "Alright, look, I know how you feel," Dean started, Sam cut him off, "Do you? How old were you when Mom died? Four? Jess died six months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?" Sam's voice got quieter with the last sentence. "Dad said it wasn't safe. For any of us. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don't, so if he says to stay away, we stay away, Dean raised his voice with his last sentence, I brought my arms up to my head to cover my ears with the blanket. "I don't understand the blind faith you have in the man. I mean, it's like you don't even question him," Dean was quick to retalitate, "Yeah, it's called being a good son!" I heard a car door open and slam closed, it wasn't long after that I felt the car shake as someone opened the trunk. I heard Dean get out too, but he left his door open. "You're a selfish bastard, you know that? You just do whatever you want. Don't care what anybody thinks." I heard Sam's faint scoff, "That's what you really think?" I didn't like Dean's response of, "Yes, it is." Mainly the way he said it so matter-of-factly. "Well, then this selfish bastard is going to California." I felt tears well up in my eyes, I didn't want him to go. I didn't want them to fight. Why couldn't they just get along? "Come on, you're not serious," I heard Dean step away from the car completely. "I am serious," Sam sounded so far away already... "It's the middle of the night! Hey, I'm taking off, I will leave your ass, you hear me?" Dean raised his voice to a tell with the last sentence. "That's what I want you to do." There was silence for a few moments, "Goodbye, Sam." I heard Dean's door close, felt the trunk close and heard the driver's door open. That was just before the car started and Dean pulled away. I curled up in a tight ball in the backseat, keeping the blanket over my head as I cried. I guess they thought I was asleep...