Chapter 17

Brycen's complexion soon recovered and he no longer looked as though he had seen a ghost but a defiant look glistened in his eyes.

"I was busy, do you think running a big business is easy? All these years, why didn't you mention it a second time?"

Isabel laughed mockingly and shook her head. She knew that no matter what she said nothing would change, Brycen would rather be beaten to within an inch of his life than admit his faults; especially in this kind of situation where it would only put him at a disadvantage.

In the past, she had thought this quality of his to be quite amazing; he never bent under pressure and was unyielding in the things that he wanted, but looking at it another way, wasn't he just an overgrown brat?

Ai! Isabel suddenly pitied the her of the past. Why the hell was that girl so stupid to fall in love with this kind of selfish man-child? No-calling him a man-child was an insult to all the childishly playful but amazing individuals out there.

"If you were too busy for them then, you're still too busy for them now, do you think that will change in the future?"

Isabel sneered. She didn't want to do this, to fight with him in front the twins, but she was angry, though she did her best to hide it. She didn't want her kids to see that part of her.

Brycen was stumped for a reply to Isabel's jab and remained stiff lipped, his whole self exuding a cold and unpleasant aura.

Isabel wanted to jeer, but Phoenix suddenly tugged on her hair and whispered from where she was in her bosom, her naïve dark blues glancing at Brycen.

"Mommy, why is daddy upset?"

Isabel stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head.

"It's alright baby, your daddy just feels a little unwell, that's all." He really should seek treatment.

Phoenix couldn't understand the sarcasm in Isabel's words, so the little girl lifted her head, her expression worried and slightly agitated. "If he's sick, shouldn't he see a doctor?"

After seeing her brother faint a few days ago because he was sick and hadn't wanted to tell anyone then ended up sleeping for such a long time-- not waking up no matter how much she tickled under his feet, which usually worked, Phoenix had received a slight trauma. The thought that her father might be sick too and also didn't want to see a doctor scared her.

Seeing her daughter's obvious concern for Brycen, Isabel was once again struck by that feeling that stopping Brycen from being a part of Kelvin's and Phoenix's lives was not entirely her own decision to make; her kids' wants and feelings were also important.

Isabel's earlier anger and hostility brought about by feelings of the past suddenly and instant deflated like a popped balloon in the face of Phoenix's concern for her father. Her expression became helpless and although her eyes still carried fury when she looked over at Brycen again, it was laced with a tolerant look, like an adult bearing the unreasonable actions and demands of a child.

Observing all this from the side, Kelvin glared at his sister who looked like she was on the verge of tears and strongly resisted the urge to roll his eyes, but at the same time, he couldn't stop the warm feeling that spread in his chest on thinking that she was once again this naïve, easily trusting, upbeat and jovial kind of person compared to the cold, jaded one he knew twenty or so years from now.

Kelvin glanced at Brycen's stoic expression and a malicious light flickered in his eyes.

Fine. For his sister's sake he would still leave this bastard with his life-- he knew how much Brycen meant to Phoenix at this stage-- but he better not hope to escape with anything else, not even his dignity.