(Chapter 02) I'm so sick

"I've soulmate bonded."

Hearing the words come out of his own mouth was surprisingly easy.

It didn't break him.

But then again he'd spent the whole night staring into nothing, collecting himself.

Namjoon had been a statue, but then suddenly sat up and his chin stuck out and he grabbed the back of Jungkook's head and said forcefully,

"We're gonna help you. No one, no one, is going to do anything but help you until you're safe, Jungkook. You know that, right?"

He had looked into Jungkook's eyes.

But the truth was Jungkook didn't need it.

He had already known that.

He had already spent the few hours of silence in the dorm thinking about it all and he was ready to fight.

Ready to fight,

for his life.

-

Fighting actually involved doing a lot of absolutely nothing, it turns out.

"Drinking lots of water and staying as still as possible delays the effects," the noona reminds him for the third time.

It had been news to him the first time she had told him.

Everyone had all learned about soulmate bonding, but that was back in elementary school. Kids were always taught to report any bruises they didn't remember getting hurt for and that was a LOT.

Like almost all of them.

But even in the youngest known soulmate bond the younger person was at 18 years old and so no one really ever took the kids seriously. It became a joke, almost, to shout "SOULMATE BOND" as you punched someone and gave them a bruise.

They were all taught about it again in high school, but all that stuck with him was how unlikely it was.

That it only happened to 1 in every 1000 people.

Most people wanted it.

The idea of being with the person meant for you was too enticing to pass up.

Never be lonely again.

Never experience a breakup again.