Read My Lips: Chapter 17

Chapter 17

By the time Friday came around, I was back at school. I’ll admit it was weird at first being back and, although quietly, hearing people talking and laughing. Considering it was weird, it was also nice. In a way, it made me feel like I wasn’t so left out.

Surprisingly, Zach’s friends (Jake, Dan and Ryan) were really supportive towards me when I returned to school this morning. Unsurprisingly, Rebekah was too. I expected that from her though, that was the kind of person that she was. She was kind and good hearted.

Since returning to school this morning, I thankfully hadn’t come into contact with Luke and Amy. That was the main thing that I was most worried about. They weren’t exactly the nicest people towards me and I wasn’t sure how they’d act towards me now that I could hear them.

The euphoria of having a large group of friends sat at the table at lunch time never seemed to wear off. The feeling was such a nice feeling and I never wanted it to end. I actually felt liked for once and nothing could compare to it.

“Are you picking me up tonight?” I asked Zach as we ate lunch. I was currently sat beside Zach who was sat in between Jake and me. 

Zach nodded as a reply; he still had a mouth full of food. He took a sip of his drink before turning fully towards me. “I sure am. Oh! Make sure you dress up warm.”

Confused, I frowned at him. “Why?”

“Because,” Zach started before taking another bite of his food before continuing. “Its winter and you need to be all warm and snuggly.” After Zach had said that he reached over to pinch my cheeks.

I slapped his hands away from my face. “Stop it.”

In reply to my command I got a chuckle from Zach before he returned his attention to the mass amount of food in front of him.

Whilst Zach ate and talked to Jake who was at his other side, I turned my attention to Rebekah who was sat to my other side. She’d barely said a word all of lunch and I had noted the fact that she had avoided Jake at all costs who she’d previously gotten along with quite well.

“Are you ok?” I asked, leaning closer to her to try and prevent the others from hearing me.

It seemed to take a while for Rebekah to snap out of her trance and look up at me. “Hm? Oh, yeah.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

I raised an eyebrow at her short reply. Everyone who now knew Rebekah knew how much she liked to talk and that was a lot. There was definitely something up with her.

“You being so quiet,” I stated, picking up my juice box and taking a sip from it. “Why you not talking to Jake?”

I took in the way she attempted to discretely look over at Jake before turning her attention back to me. “I just… He… I’ll tell you later.”

“I holding you to that.” 

My attention was turned to a question that Dan had suddenly asked Zach. “Hey, Zach, what happened to your face?”

I realised the way Zach awkwardly looked towards Jake before nervously looking at me. By the expression on his face I could tell he didn’t want to answer the question that was suddenly thrown towards him.

“Nothing serious.” He answered shortly and straight to the point.

“Don’t lie to me you little shit.” Dan laughed, nudging Ryan in the arm to try and get a reaction from him. Which, he succeeded as a laugh left Ryan’s lips.