31

Lyra (1)

"So you think Mister Sato manufactured those gloves for the Equalists then framed cabbage corps?" My father asked Korra and I.

"That's a bold accusation." Beifong added. "But what proof do you have?"

Korra looked at me and I knew what she wanted me to say. But I couldn't. I promised Shin.

I faced my father and Beifong, "We don't really have proof. Just trust us on this."

"We know what we heard." Korra said. "Sato's up to something."

"He does have the means." Beifong thought. "And he has a motive."

My father nodded, "That's right."

"What sort of motive?" I asked.

"Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai Triad ribbed Sato's mansion. A fire bender killed Sato's wife during the break in." My father replied.

"That's right." I remembered. "You were gone for weeks for that trial."

"That's terrible." Korra frowned.

"It was tragic." My father said. "It's possible he's been hovering anti bending sentiment all this time."

"Maybe we should look at Mister Sato a little more closely." Beifong said.

"Where could we look first?" I asked.

"We have to confront Mister Sato first. Then we'll look around his factories and warehouses." My father said. I nodded. "We should start as soon as possible."

"Bright and early tomorrow we'll meet at the estate. The faster we are, the faster we get to Amon." Beifong said. "I'll see you all in the morning."

We then parted from each other, going opposite ways. As we started to make our way to the ferry, I saw an all too familiar car once again. Shin slowed down behind me and I knew he wanted to speak with me.

"Hey dad?"

Korra and Tenzin both turned around and waited for me to continue.

"You guys go ahead without me. I'll see you guys at home in a few." I said.

"Where are you going at this hour?" My father asked me.

"To talk to someone about Sato. I think I can get us more information." I slightly smiled.

"From who?" Korra asked.

"When they let me, I'll tell you. But for their own safety reasons, they'd rather I not." I answered.

My father sighed, "Well... alright. Be careful. I love you."

"I love you too dad."

When my father and Korra both turned around, I took my chance to run back to Shin's car and he zoomed off.

"Do you have anymore information on Sato?" I asked him.

"Hi to you too." Shin chuckled.

"Since when do we say hi to each other?" I asked him.

Shin winced with the corner of his lip curled upwards, "Ouch."

I crossed my arms. "It's a yes or no question, Shin."

"No, I don't. But I want to know what happened." Shin finally answered. 

"We're going to question Sato tomorrow morning." I said.

"That's it?" He cocked a brow. "You don't need to question him. You already know who he really is."

"But they don't. Since you want to stay out of it, I can't tell them what I really know. Trust the process, Shin."

"Fine. Can you keep me posted?"

I nodded, "Sure."

Shin slightly smiled.  "Thanks, kid."

"Yeah, no problem."

After a few seconds of awkward silence between us, he glanced over at me. "What do you have planned right now?"

"I was going to go home right after we talked." I shrugged. "Why?"

"Do you have a curfew on that island of yours?"

I rolled my eyes. "No."

"Let's do something."

"Like?"

"Something fun."

"Is your definition of 'fun' illegal?"

"I don't mess around with that stuff anymore, kid. I've changed."

I scoffed, "Oh yeah, since when?"

"Since Amon took my bending."

Crap. "I forgot about that..."

I leaned back in the passenger seat and shrugged, "Yeah, what the hell."

Shin smirked, "That's what I'm talking about." He pressed on the gas and the car sped off down the street. He rolled down the windows and the wind flowed through my hair.

I couldn't contain my smile. And so couldn't he. He started to cheer and I followed after.

I looked over at him and yelled over the wind, "Where are we going?!"

Shin shook his head, "I don't know!"

I laughed before placing my head out of the window. "Wooooo!"

"Look out for any cops!"

"I thought we weren't doing anything illegal?!"

"You're having fun aren't you!? So why stop!?"