1

[Chapter One]

-Winnie-

Kia Ora, my name's Winnie King -actually, my name's Windora but if you call me that, I'll shove my fist down your throat- I'm the daughter of Nevaeh and Noah King and I'm one of a kind—

"Winnie, hurry up!" Octavia yells as I trudge behind her through the doors of hell —I mean, school.

Actually, no. I mean hell.

"Shut up." I grumble, dragging my feet as I walk as slowly as possible. It was the first day of school and the first day of senior year. I really do not want to be here.

—and okay, so I have an identical twin sister but I'm still one of a kind!...sort of.

There are some differences. Octavia is girlier and I'm more of a tomboy. Octavia's shorter and I'm taller. Octavia's older and I'm younger. Octavia has dad's greenish-blue eyes and I have mum's bright blue eyes.

My mum passed away when I was seven.

Even though I was only seven, I still remember her. How beautiful she was. How she used to sing us to sleep. How she taught us to play basketball. How she would dance around the kitchen with us when she thought dad was asleep, when he was actually standing in the doorway with an amused smile on his face.

I miss her.

Anyway, let's get away from the depressing subject, shall we?

I may play basketball and dance, but I'm still the clumsiest person you'll ever meet-

"Oh shi-" I trip over thin air and go crashing face first into a row of lockers. See what I mean?

"Nice, Winnie." Octavia shakes her head in amusement, being used to my clumsiness.

"Did Winnie just trip over nothing again?" Kamri asks knowingly as she walks over to us.

Kamri is aunt Megan and uncle Max's daughter.

Max chose her name.

Something about mum and a baby project.

"Yup." Octavia nods.

"Nothing new." Lucas -uncle Dylan and uncle Chris' adopted son- states as he walks over with Kamri and smiles at Octavia. "Hey, Tavia."

"Hey, Lucas." Octavia smiles back, blushing slightly.

Octavia has had the biggest crush on him since we were eleven years old. We're seventeen now.

And no, it's not like I'm guessing she likes him. I beat the truth out of her with a pillow when we were twelve because she kept refusing to admit she liked him.

He likes her too.

He just doesn't know it.

Let me tell you something about Lucas.

He is literally the most oblivious person ever. So oblivious that he doesn't even know when he likes someone.

Good thing we've been best friends literally our whole lives and I know him better than he knows himself.

"Hey, Winnie."

Octavia and Lucas turn to look at me while Kamri stifles a laugh.

"What?" I look at them. "You said hi to each other and I felt left out."

"Hey, did you guys hear about the new guy?" Kamri interrupts before either Octavia or Lucas could say anything.

"We're getting a new guy?" Lucas questions.