Grocery Shopping

Cam and Zac sat squished together in the shopping cart, whilst picking random things off the shelves and into the cart. For the hundredth time I ripped a can of baby food out of Zac´s hand and placed it back on the shelf. Zac laughed and tried to grab a pack of diapers.

We were grocery shopping and Cam and Zac had insisted, like the babies they were, to sit in the cart whilst Ace pushed and I took the ingredients. This did not include the pampers and baby food they kept on wanting to grab. They were also calling Ace and I ´Mommy and Daddy´ which was annoying us to the point Ace had put on ear muffs to tune them out.

"Ooh yummy! Mommyyyyy grab that kind," Cam tugged at the back of my Hunger Games shirt.

"That one is filled with junk. No," I said sternly, gazing down at him.

Cam's lower lip literally trembled. Forget modeling, he could become an actor. I looked at Ace for help but he was apologizing to a middle aged man because Zac had apparently asked him if he was his father or something. Zac found himself hilarious and he was choking back his big laughs, leaning against the cart. I rolled my eyes and took Ace's arm pulling him along, and pushing the cart with some difficultly. I loved them, I really did, but sometimes I wanted to dump them in the Hunger Games arena and leave them there to fight till the death. Yes, I had flunked anger management.

"Daddy," Zac began innocently as I collected some herbs.

"Hmm?" Ace said, as he reached to pick the herbs I couldn't since I was too small, his hot breath right in my ear.

"Does being so close to mommy excite you?" Cam finished.

I turned a burning red as I realized how close we really were and Ace's cheeks turned beetroot. He quickly took three or four steps back, dumped the herbs into the cart and slapped Cam and Ace in unison who were basically wetting themselves. Talk about really awkward, all the progress I'd been making with Ace and warming up his frigid heart (oh, so corny) was out the window once again. I wanted to become one of those birds and bury my head in embarrassment.

"Okay we need some dark chocolate, soda, and broccoli," I told the guys.

"Ew I hate broccoli,” Cam made a face.

“Same!” Zac said and then his eyes lit up, and whispered into his ear.

Ace and I watched them warily, our arms crossed. Then suddenly, Zac leapt out of the shopping cart and shoved it, racing away from us.

“WHOO, ZAC-CAM REVOLUTION!” they shouted as they disappeared round the corner.

Ace and I burst out laughing. For the first time I realized he had a dimple. Oh my god, he was the definition of perfection I thought darkly. I realized the many girls checking him out and I pursed my lips, resisting the urge to them to go stick their looks where the sun didn’t shine. Then Ace grabbed my hand, and pulled me after Zac and Cam who we could hear screaming in the distance.

Laughing we chased them, Ace keeping a firm grasp on my hand. My sides were aching from laughing so hard. Zac and Cam taunted us, always keeping the advantage. I had a feeling Ace could have caught them if he let go of my hand, but he stayed with me, tugging on my hand so I kept up. We sprinted and in the distance I saw a tower of toilet rolls on sale.

“Watch out!” I yelped.

My cry was too late, for Ace and Cam literally slammed into the toilet rolls, disappearing under them. Ace and I looked at each other and quickly walked away in a different direction as we saw the store manager angrily hollering at Zac and Cam.

***

We ate dinner, laughing and picking pieces of toilet paper out of Cam’s and Zac’s hair. They had had to rebuild the toilet roll pyramid and pay for the rolls they had destructed. They had reluctantly forgiven Ace and I for doing a runner.

“So Ace what’s going on with that Amy girl?” Cam asked, waggling his eyebrows.

“Who?” I demanded, staring at Ace who looked down grumpily.

“You know, the one in all of his classes…? You didn’t tell her!” Zac accused.

“Ace! I thought we were friends,” I frowned, offended.

“We are,” he said, “But… telling you about the girls I date? I mean you’re a girl!”

“What are you, in middle school? I can talk about girls, no problem!” I said.

I wanted in on the man talk. I mean how hard was it to talk about a girl as a relationship prospect for Ace?

“So you seen her twin peaks yet?” Zac winked, shamelessly.

“You betcha,” Ace laughed, “They were great, man.”

“EW! Nevermind, don’t tell me about her sexually. But do tell me about her. Can we meet her?” I demanded, grinning.

Ace looked mildly horrified, expecting us. Zac, Cam and I grinned evilly at him.

“We’ll see,” Ace said shortly.

Booyah.