Part 9. The Vampire's Maid

Numbers and Elizabeth Sancruor were erased from my memory minutes later. Abriella, June and I entered the immaculately tidy dining room, all fidgeting uncomfortably in the strappy black dresses Dane had ordered we change into. The long, candlelit table was set with too many knives and forks, only lacking guests. Joe and the three other male workers stood rigidly around the edges if the room in black suits. All were scowling except for Joe who smiled brightly at us as we entered, allowing his eyes to travel over the thin materials of our dresses.

A wheezing sound warned us that Dane had entered the dining room. He swivelled his head, covered by the driver's cap as usual, to take in all of our appearances.

"You," He grunted, pointing at June. "Get that off your face and go stand with smiley."

June brushed the flour from her eyebrow and then dashed eagerly to stand beside Joe, seeming pleased with the arrangements. Joe grinned and picked some flour out of her hair.

After being instructed by Dane, I took my place beside a handsome, black teenager whom Dane had referred to as "untidy" because his white shirt was protruding from beneath his jacket and his tie was undone. He smiled slightly at me without showing his teeth and attempted to fasten his tie. I snorted a little into my hand at his poor attempt.

"What?" He asked shooting me a look which was a mixture of frustration and a plea for help.

I pulled him towards me by the tie and secured it in a neat knot then tugged his jacket down over his white shirt for good measure.

"Thanks," He smiled sheepishly. "I guess I'm not very good at all of this."

He gestured around the aristocratic room and at Abriella and "shorty" who were now standing side by side looking every bit the upper class couple in their elegant outfits. Abriella smiled showing all of her pearly white teeth and "shorty" stood up a little higher which gained a look of something close to approval from Dane.

"I'm Elizabeth," I introduced myself.

"I'm Callum." He told me, "I don't understand why Dane needs all of us to stand around the outside of the room like mannequins. Between you and me, I think he's sour that he never gets invited to these feasts."

I couldn't contain the burst of laughter that escaped my lips as I caught a glance of Dane, patrolling around the room with a grumpy frown on his face and his cap perched unflatteringly over his eyes.

"Listen up!" Dane croaked. "The guests will arrive and you will stand in these positions. Hang on a minute, where's the other female to stand next to him?"

Dane pointed at the one smartly dressed boy, muscular and red haired, without a partner. Joe and June, Abriella and "shorty", and Callum and I were all partnered up. This boy, however, was standing alone.

"Why have they partnered us up?" I hissed at Callum whilst wondering where Olive was.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "It looks better, I suppose. There's really not that much logic going on in this place."

A door banged open with such force that seemed impossible from the timid girl standing in the doorway. Olive was wearing the same dress as I was but instead of clinging tightly to her body it swamped her small frame making her look smaller and paler than before. She was panting and clutching a stitch in her side having obviously just been running. Muttering an apology at Dane she stumbled over and stood with as much dignity as she could beside the muscular red head.

"About time! Now, as I was saying... When the guests arrive stay where you are and try not to embarrass us too much. Now, males you will serve the drinks. Females, you will bring the food from the kitchen up here. Got it?" Dane asked, glaring around at us all.