Thirteen • Bitten

King Dimitrius' Point of View

I paced back and forth around my chambers. I know that we had a deal and it's just right for me to drink her blood after telling her part of the truth. Yes, it's not the whole story but she doesn't need to find out anytime soon.

Three hours. That's how long since I've left her with Mary. The guards around the castle have reported that they've been touring the castle and doing nothing but talking.

Felicity's blood, that's what I need. I've been drinking large amounts of blood from blood bags and even from the willing servants yet nothing has been satisfying my hunger.

Before this gets any worse, I slowly opened my door and walked towards the garden, where Felicity is. You see, even when a mate bond is lost, the desire for your other half's blood will always be strong. That's how a vampire lives, even with a pool of blood, only a drop of your mate's can ease that craving.

Since Felicity was a child, the Lowells and I had an agreement. I wouldn't get on their way of stepping on my people as long as they would give me a share of Felicity's blood. Doesn't she wonder why she had to donate blood every year? Maybe not.

As I took faster and longer strides, Katherine stopped me. "Brother, that hunger will kill her," she said with a voice with worry. I didn't listen to her and walked past her but she got in my way again.

"I know how to control myself, Katherine," I told her but she was right. The beast inside me might take over once my fangs pierce her delicate skin.

"You know what? Even though Felicity and I aren't on such good terms, let's not forget that I was also one of the people who held her in my arms when she was a little child. I still care for her and right now, I'm telling you to back off before you do something that will cause you a lifetime of regret."

That's when I stepped backward. Never have I heard Katherine speaking like that. What has gotten in her? Where's the sister who didn't give a damn in this world?

"Why are you so concerned?" I confronted her and her tensed shoulders began to soften. Even when she was held captive, Katherine was always negligent on the people around her, why care now?

"Because when the demon brother of Felicity beat me to the brink of death, she was there to help me, Felicity willingly gave me her blood to strengthen me and let my wounds heal. She stood up against her family to defend us, she wasn't a perfect queen for them, Dimitrius. She is the perfect queen for us and I won't let that be destroyed just because you drained her of blood."

Her eyes looked straight at mine. Just when I thought that she turned into a Lowell, just like her family, I was wrong. Instead of going to Felicity, I stormed off to the room where all the vampires that were once held were.

"Is it true?" I growled, making all of their attention turn to mine. How could they not tell me the truth? I trusted them when they told me how Felicity herself mistreated them. I didn't believe them until the day that Felicity punished me in front of her family but even that situation, she did it with regret.

No one dared to talk until one of them stood up and spoke. "Yes, King," he said with a stern voice. I punched the table in front of me, making it shatter to pieces. As a ruler, I tolerate no deceptions.

But I still heard them out. "How could you lie to me about the future queen?" I said and silence fell among all of us.

"Because we thought that by telling you how adverse she became, you would give up on her and save us!" Multiple grumbles erupted in the whole room until Katherine said,