Day Six - World Population Unknown

BLAKE SANDERS

Taking one step after another, I tentatively walked down the dingy green hallway that looked like it belonged in a horror movie.  The threadbare carpets were covered in filth and grime that had been trod in with years of neglect.  Wallpaper and paint peeled from walls and door frames as I passed one splintered apartment door after another.  There were probably only three types of people that would live in a building like this.  Serial killers, prostitutes and drug addicts. 

Lights flickered overhead as footsteps sounded beside me.

Looking over to my left, Damian walked beside me, matching my stride.  The sound of his footsteps echoing within my own sounded tinny in the narrow hallway.  He nodded his head at me and then at the door on the left at the end of the long corridor.  His golden eyes showcasing nothing but worry and concern.

We headed toward it in silence.  The corridor was familiar and my gut churned as Deja vu gripped me.  I knew I'd been here before and I knew that something bad had happened here but for the life of me, I couldn't recall what.  I growled in frustration at the holes in my memory.

A few short steps later, we stood in front of a dilapidated purple door.  A tarnished bronze number twelve swung from a single nail, pinning it in place.  An old damp and mould covered Pokémon sticker patched up a hole in the wood, it looked to be the sturdiest thing on the door and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the only thing keeping it together.  Damian motioned for me to go inside but I hesitated.  My subconscious holding me back.  Warning me that I didn't want to see what was inside.

"What's inside?"  I asked tentatively. 

"You already know."  He replied cryptically motioning once again, towards the door.

Lifting my hand I wiggled the handle, hoping that it would be locked and I could get the hell out of there.  But to my dismay, the handle gave way and the door opened with a creak.

The smell was the first thing that assaulted me when the door cracked open.  The overwhelming stench of rot and decay made me wretch and gag.  I pulled the sleeve of my shirt over my hand and held it to my nose and mouth in an attempt to filter out the stench and hopefully keep in the vomit that was threatening to fill my mouth.

My feet dug into the rotted door mat stopping me from moving any further.  Hair rising on the back of my neck in warning.

"I can't" My voice came out almost childlike.

"You have to." Damian pushed.

"What's in there?" I asked again.

"I can't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"It's something you need to see for yourself."

"But I'm scared-"

"You've already seen what's in there with your eyes, you just need to see it with your mind."

"But why?"

"Just go inside and you will understand."

Steeling my spine, I lifted my booted foot from the mat and placed it inside the apartment.  A sense of foreboding washed over me as I tried to prepare myself the best I could for what was ahead of me.

As I made my way into the apartment, the sound of a crying child catching my attention.  I turned to Damian to gauge his reaction but he just closed his eyes and nodded his head.  Gesturing for me to carry on.  I followed the sounds of sobbing to the kitchen at the back end of the apartment.  The door was open a crack causing harsh halogen lighting to beam through the small gap.  I braced myself and pushed open the door, gasping as the world spun at what I saw before me.