Chapter Ten

I didn't even know why I asked Gina to drop me off at the diner, when I knew for a fact that Jonah Gibbs was going to be there. Maybe I was just too obsessed with him, despite my current dislike I was feeling toward him right now.

I really did feel touched that he cared if I was falling asleep in our killer teacher's class, but I really didn't appreciate the stinging pain in my foot that he'd left me with. Also, he just put another cherry on top of one of my worst days ever, and what had happened today with the whole footsie-gone-wrong fiasco hadn't helped my mood become better in any way.

"You sure you don't wanna go straight home?" Gina asked, trying to persuade me. "I mean, you've been having a bad day. Wouldn't a hot bath sound nice? A Ryan Gosling marathon? Or just maybe... sleep? You really look like you need sleep. Please go home and sleep."

She was just saying that because she didn't want to find out that Rochelle's diner, owned by the Taylors family, had been burned down, in the news tomorrow morning. "I'll be fine. I'll hang out with Nat. Maybe she'll lift up my mood."

She made a face, clearly disappointed that I had chosen not to take the rest I needed. "Or maybe you should just stay in your dad's office and catch some rest there?"

"Maybe," I shrugged, unbuckling my seatbelt now that the car had slowed down in front of the diner. "Bye."

"See ya, Hannah," Gina muttered with a sigh. "Please don't do anything stupid."

I rolled my eyes and waved, turning around and making my way through the front door.

I immediately went straight to Nat, not bothering to see if Jonah had noticed my presence. "Hey, is Wayne here yet?"

"He just arrived like five mins ago. Why?"

"Oh, good. Tell him to make me a sandwich. Wait, make it two. I need some Wayne sandwich in my stomach."

She snorted. "Bad day?"

"More like bad lifetime," I corrected dramatically. She rolled her eyes at me and then yelled through the small window that went through the kitchen.

"Futton, ya there?"

"Sup?" Wayne yelled back.

"The princess wants her sandwich. Make it two."

"Ooo, bad day?" Wayne asked, his head poking out through the kitchen. "You always order two of those when you're angry."

"Why does it have to be a bad day if I want to order two sandwiches? What if I was having a date and that's why I ordered two?" I asked, irritated, but both of them snorted as if me going on a date was the most ridiculousestestest thing ever.

"The day you go on a date is the day this girl decides to become a nun," Wayne said, only to wince once Nat slapped him in the face. "Two sandwiches comin' up."

"Make it quick, please! I'm hungry!" I called out.

"Ya want some drink? Or do you want to order some coffee from that hot piece of ass?" Nat asked, wiggling her eyebrows at me. My face warmed but I glared at her.

"Just gimme a bottle of water."

She turned around and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and threw it to me. I caught it and muttered "thanks", before plopping down into one of the empty booths near the side window.

My eyes roamed around and found Jonah who was making a drink for a lady, his face scrunched a little bit when a splash of hot water touched his skin. He gave the lady a quick smile once he was finished, and then before he turned his head toward my general direction, I looked down to my bag, pretending to take out a book.