December 16, 1991.

Helmut Zemo revealed himself to us from the plate glass window of a sealed off room

Helmut Zemo revealed himself to us from the plate glass window of a sealed off room. Protected by the nearly indestructible structure. 

He seemed confident, and composed, his plan unraveling before him. 

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" The Captain convicted as we drew closer to the transparent square pane. 

"I've thought about nothing else for over a year." Zemo divulged. 

"You're Sokovian. Is that what this is about?" Steve brought up, but once I got a good look at the man behind the window I saw how ordinary he looked. 

He was a simple Sokovian man who had been driven to the brink. He was not a fighter, he was normal with normal human desires. Desires I could tell had been taken away from him. 

He looked perpetually in mourning, like a widow never taking off their black funeral clothes. The blackness itself becoming apart of them. 

"You lost someone." I spoke up, having known the look in his eyes well. 

"You can tell, Mrs. Barnes?" Zemo affirmed. "Except I didn't just lose someone. I lost everyone." 

A boxy old computer flipped on near us. A pixelated date appearing. 

"December 16, 1991."

We huddled around the screen together, a playback of a timeworn surveillance footage revealing a road in black and white. 

"I know that road," Tony piped up. "What the hell is this?!" 

With that the tape started up, and we all watched just stricken with silence. The film spinning within the cassette. 

A car was smashed into the trunk of a tree, it's entire hood bending inward from the sudden impact as a fire began to brew from the damaged engine. 

Pulling up beside the car was a man on a motorcycle, his silver metal arm glinting in the light of a lamppost. 

It was the Winter Soldier, and we all watched as Howard Stark, Tony's father, fell out of the drivers seat, and was groveling at Bucky's feet. 

The Winter Soldier picked Howard up by the tendrils of his grey hair, and bashed his face in with his metal fist. 

In the footage we could hear Maria screaming out her husbands name as the Winter Soldier made his way over to the passenger side to take care of her as well. 

He then strangled her, Tony's mother, easily before taking a shot at the surveillance lens with his gun, ending the film. The computer screen going back to black.

Tony just stared at the screen for what felt like forever, his jaw clenched, his brown iris's brimming with tears. The footage feeling like a bullet ripping straight through his heart.