Forty Four : Silver Bullet

WARNING : This chapter contains gory depictions of death and torture. Read at your own discretion.

My heart sunk.

Brandy dug a hole for me and didn't realize that she was also going to be buried in it.

It was evident that she believed everything the Hunters told her. She didn't realize that they were just using her the same way they used all those other werewolves that they captured and killed.

First, they would promise the werewolves everything to their hearts content.

Second, they would infiltrate the pack with that werewolf's help.

Third, they would eradicate the Alpha of the pack.

And finally, they would kill every single being within the 10 mile radius, including the werewolf that they had worked with.

Without someone leading them into the pack, the hunters would never be able to exterminate a pack within such a short time frame.

What made Brandy think that allying herself with the Hunters was a good idea? When has that ever been a good idea?

Just because Lilith managed to escape their grasp doesn't mean that she will too. They will turn on her when given the chance.

And it just so happens that the time has come.

Brandy was shaking with rage, uncontrollable like a desperate and wounded animal ready to fight for its life.

Instead of running, she chose to fight them head on. Her face morphed back and forth between humanoid and wolf features due to her wavering emotions.

Everything happened in rapid succession after that.

Brandy leaped into the air at the hunters, halfway through shifting into her wolf when the loud gunshot went off.

My heart stuttered a beat.

One of the hunters shot her dead in the center of her forehead and a ring of black quickly formed as her skin was charred and burned in the span of seconds.

Brandy had no chance.

When she was hit with the bullet infused with concentrated silver and mercury, I knew that there was no going back.

She stopped midair and her wolf dissolved until she was forced back into her humanoid form. I could hear a pained whine leave her throat, choked and sharp, before her body flopped over into a heap on the forest floor.

My eyes closed as a tear trickled down my chilled cheek, feeling hot and cold at the same time.

Regardless of how she treated me, Brandy didn't deserve to die like that.

She was also a victim, used by the hunters in order for them to achieve their wicked schemes. They played her just like they played everyone else.

Brandy made the mistake of trusting them.

And it had cost her dearly.

I sniffled, trying to calm my emotions when a hunter stopped right at Brandy's lifeless body. The tall male pulled a silver dagger out from the scabbard strapped on his waist and dug the sharp blade into Brandy's chest.

With deft precision, the hunter carved a circle through Brandy's chest cavity and lifted the bloody flesh to dig deeper.

Just the sickening noise of her ribs shattering under the force was enough to make me turn my head away.