Chapter 6

Grayson's POV

"Coffee." I knock on Skylar's door, only to be greeted by silence again. I sigh and push the door open to let myself in since I know pretty damn well she won't open the door. When I step in her room, I close the door shut with my heel and walk towards her. She's sitting by her window, knees glued to her chest, gaze lost outside.

"Skye?" I call out, making her snap her head around to look at me. I crack the slightest smile in hope that she will return it, but just like usual; the corners of her mouth remain straight. I clear my throat and close the space between us before handing her the cup of coffee I've been holding for the past two minutes. She hesitantly takes it from me and brings her gaze back to the trees dancing in the wind.

I sit down next to her and lay my hand on top of hers to get her attention.

"I think you should go outside for a while. You've been locked up in here for days. I haven't heard your voice since we left that damn forest..." I beg for a response. She turns her head slowly so her gaze meets mine. She stares in the depth of my eyes, hers becoming glossy by the second, as her lips part open.

She stares at me as if I'm a fucking stranger.

"Skylar." I run my hand up her arm and grab her shoulder firmly, imposing for her to speak. "Talk to me. I can't take this anymo-"

"YOU can't take this anymore, Grayson? Who lost a sister in here? Last time I recalled, Cameron is still well and alive. Be fucking grateful." she snaps and give me back the cup of coffee before staring out the window. Again.

I close my eyes and release a breath I didn't know I was holding back. My hand slips from her shoulder and fall delicately onto her lap as my eyes well up in tears.

"I just..."

I chuckle softly before sniffing once or twice, realizing I finally caught her attention when she subtly stares at me in the corner of her eye.

"I wish you could just understand... how much I need you right now. And I know you need someone too." I can see the pain and hurt in her eyes; as if her irises were two gigantic black wholes ready to swallow everything they stare at. She breaks eyes contacts and a subtle stray of moonlight strikes against her eyeballs, making them shine in the dark room.

"I need Carrie." is everything she says before she stands up and leaves the room to go God knows where. I rub my eyes tiredly and heave a sigh, pretending that this didn't totally shatter my heart in pieces. I stare outside her window and my blood instantly runs cold.

A man stands on the sidewalk in front of the house, the shadow from his hood covering his features. I squint my eyes and bring my face closer to the window. The man jumps lightly and runs off into the darkness, probably scared that I saw him. I jump onto my feet and it only takes me three seconds before I'm already on the front porch, looking left and right in hope to find the stranger.

"Something wrong, son?" a hand lays over my shoulder and I shrug it off while taking two or three steps forward, my gaze not leaving the sidewalk.

I wait for a few more seconds, just in case, but to my surprise, he doesn't show up. No guns fired, no screams echoed through the quiet night. Just my paranoid breathing.

"No, Mr. Andrews. Everything's fine." I manage to mutter and I hear the front door close. I sigh in relief and bend over my knees to catch my breath.

What the fuck just happened?

-----

It feels like the weekend will never end. Enora and Caleb had plans together, which left me with only Ethan since Cameron stayed over at Skylar's house for a while.