3

Maddie opens her water bottle downing a drink as she zips up her dance bag and jumps slightly when she feels a pair of arms wrap around her waist but leans back when she smells the gentle smell of Justin's cologne

"Hey babe, you looked good." Justin comments as she, and the rest of the dance squad, had finished practice for the day along with the basketball team and cheer team. "Thanks, I just wish those girls took it as serious as I did." Maddie sighs shaking her head making Justin sit down next to her bag. "Just be glad you have such a strong passion for it." He says smiling and Maddie smiles but it falters slightly when she takes in his appearance. Lately him and Zach had been acting weird and Justin had rings around his eyes, even worse than the days he would stay up all night in arguments with his mothers boyfriends. 

"Justin are you okay?" She asks furrowing her eyebrows confused since he always told her what was wrong. "Yeah I'm fine just had a problem at the house last night." He says and she nods her head putting her bottle in her bag and slinging it over her shoulder. "Come on." She says with a small smile as she nods her head towards the door so they could leave and when he looked out the door something in his eyes changed when he seen his friends though they both shook it off and walked to the door hand in hand. 

"Hey Mads ready to go home?" Zach asks and Maddie nods taking the keys from Zach's hand. "Go start the car I have to talk to Justin." Zach says making her once again look confused though she just nods and walks to the car.

Zach and Justin stood to the corner away from the other guys so they could speak without being heard. "Are you sure she hasn't gotten them yet?" Justin asked

"Yes dude I'm sure I've been keeping an eye out but I don't know how we can keep her from seeing them." Zach said in a sad and desperate voice, he didn't want his sister to hear what had happened to her, what he or Justin had done, and he never wanted her to feel like she had costed Hannah her life. "Okay we need to think who is before Maddie in the tapes?" Justin asks running his hand through his hair.

"Sheri isn't it?"

"Dude, we can't stop her even if we tried, she's a girl." Justin says kicking the locker. "We can try and figure this out but I have to go to the car before Maddie comes back in." Zach says making Justin nod as his best friend leaves.

Maddie and Zach come home walking through the door having both of them take off their shoes and set them on the mat. "Hey Mom." Zach says smiling as he sits down at the small table bar where May was already setting because she gets home before them. "Hey loves how was school?" She asks handing them both and apple. "Good, nothing really eventful happened today." Zach says and bites into his apple making their mom turn to Maddie. "And your day young lady?" She asks.

"Pretty good, we had our test in Math but I'm not worried about it." Maddie says doing the same as Zach and taking a bite out of her apple. "And practice for all of you since I haven't asked May yet."

"Good my flute needs a new mouth piece soon though." May says reminding their mother of her concert coming up making her nod and write it on a piece of paper and putting it on the fridge. "Zach?"

"Good. We made a few plans for our next game."

"Maddie?"

"Could have been better." Maddie says with a shrug. "The girls don't seem to care when they mess up, It's seriously just me Maddison, Autumn, and Rocky running everything at this point." She says throwing her apple core into the trashcan. "Nobody is going to take it as seriously as you are sweetheart, just give them some time, and in the mean time you still get the spotlight." She points out with a smile as she nods letting all of the siblings grab their bags and walk upstairs to their bedrooms and Maddie was lucky enough to get her own last year.

Maddie sets her bags down on her floor next to her bed and she lets her hair down out of the tight bun and ties back the sides and clips it with a white bow that way it stayed out of her face while she did her homework. She takes her clothes from her bag and walks into her bathroom and sets them in her dirty clothes basket. When she goes back to her bag something on her bed catches her eye but before she can turn back to it to get a better look her phone goes off. She grabs it out of her bag and answers it without looking at the caller ID. "Hello?" She says grabbing her English binder. "Hey babe are you busy?" Justin's voice asks.

"I have homework, why?" Maddie asks

"Oh never mind I just wanted to hang, call me when you're finished alright?" Justin asks making Maddie smile and zip up her bag as she grabs the pencil. "Of course, love you."

"Love you." Justin says and hangs up making Maddie set down on her bed and set her phone and work down on her desk. She looks over to what had caught her eye to see a rectangle package with paper around it and in blue maker it said 'Maddie' in bold letters. In confusion Maddie rips the top bringing out a shoe box which she sets on her lap and looks inside it to see several cassette tapes.

 Maddie grabs a old cassette player out of her closet and sets the tape labeled '1' in and sets the player on her desk and stands up getting ready to walk to her desk to start her work when her eyes immediately look up going wipe, her face almost blank of any emotion as she heard the voice she never though she would hear again.

"Hey it's Hannah, Hannah Baker."

                                                                                                                                                                                {6.11.18}