Ride or Die

Jude walks slowly all the way to the next bus stop, desperately trying to shake the nerves that she's feeling. Not even Shawn Mendes' silky voice can calm her. Her next stop is going to be the hardest emotionally. Jude was afraid that she would have a meltdown if she has to see her best friend cry again. But, she has calculated that there would be nobody home when she got to her best friend's house. Lori would be in her first class at her university. Her brother Drew at work with their dad and the mom at her office. Jude was hoping to leave the letter in the mailbox and not have to do this face to face. And yes she felt like the utmost coward, but she knows her best friend would make a huge scene. Which is exactly what happened 8 months ago, when Jude tried to have a talk with her about leaving. Lori cried and begged for Jude to stay. She asked for her to wait a few more years and they could go together and travel wherever she wanted. But Jude knows this wasn't going to happen, because of several reasons. Even though Lori wanted her to stay so bad, they hadn't been as close as they used to be in a very long time. Lori and Jude always called each other "my ride or die". Best friends since 3rd great the girls were inseparable. But things started changing their junior year. Lori's older brother (by 14 months) became interested in Jude. He was a senior and a popular football player. Jude was swept away by his sudden attention to her. Lori hated it. Lori knew her brother was a player with no regard for being a good boyfriend. Deep down Jude knew it too, but it felt good to be wanted by the hottest guy in school. Lori began referring to Jude as the flat tire in their ride or die friendship and pulled away. Of course within 6 months, Drew proved Lori right and cheated on Jude with a cute cheerleader. Humiliated Jude turned to her best friend only to find that Lori wasn't comforting. She had an I told you so attitude that cut Jude to the core. At the same time, Drew realized he really cared for Jude and tried to get her back. Jude was strong and stayed away from him only wanting to fix her friendship. Then her parents' accident happened. Jude was devastated. Lori tried to be there for her, but was at a loss on how to help. Drew became even more persistent in his efforts. She was lonely and thought she could find comfort in him, so she finally gave in. At first it was wonderful, but he began to constantly try to convince her to have sex with him. At 17, Jude was still a virgin, but wanting to forget her pain and trust Drew-she said yes. It was quick and left her feeling more empty. He wasn't soothing or loving. Jude had no one to talk to as by this time Lori had found a boyfriend of her own and was lost in her own world. Besides, how could she tell her that her brother wasn't the Prince charming after all. Lori would probably say "well, duh!"
Now Jude is on the crowded bus heading to Lori's neighborhood. She put away her phone and now watched as the world sped by through the window. After breaking up with Drew not long after the one and only time they had sex, her and Lori continued their friendship. Yet, it was never again what it was. Lori graduated and started college,while Jude took a job after graduation. They didn't hang out as much, so when Jude first broached the subject of leaving-she was shocked Lori felt so against it. Worst part was even after Jude said she'd stay, Lori made no attempt to spend more time with her. So, Jude continued suffering in silence. It took her a long time to realize this is her life and everyone would be just fine if she left.
Jude pulls the chord above her head to indicate she'd be getting off up ahead. The bus stops and she carefully steps off in a very nice neighborhood on the Northside of town. The houses around her are large and elegant. She always felt a little intimidated here. Lori's family wasn't rich, but very well off. She pictures her friend with name brand clothes and perfectly manicured nails. Lori always looks like she stepped out of a magazine. In fact, she often is told she looks like Bella Hadid. This thought makes Jude smile as she approaches the house. She heads up the long sidewalk to the large porch. Just as she is slipping the letter in the mailbox the front door swings inward and Drew walks out. He's taller than she remembers, his broad shoulders take up most of the door frame. His blonde hair barely visible from under his trucker cap. Drew's blue eyes meet hers and Jude is like a deer in headlights, wanting to run but only frozen in place. Her hand still inside the black box attached to the porch railing. Drew looks at her with a fierce intensity "Jude, is that you? I haven't seen you in forever. Wait are you stealing our mail?" He asks with a worried look.
Jude stammers, "um, no. I was, uh, leaving something for Lori."
"Oh. Well. Do you wanna come in. I'm late for work, but shit its my Dad. So, I mean no biggie," he says and goes to reopen the door. Jude steps back off the porch and turns to the street. "No thanks. I have to go. But really nice seeing you."
"Ju, wait"
She cringes at his nickname for her, but turns with a smile.
He continues, "Did you come on the bus? Let me at least give you a ride. It's hot as hell out here." Jude nods her head ok and follows him to his red truck. He opens the door for her and puts his hand on her lower back as she lifts herself up inside. This touch shocks her, not sure why but she suddenly feels like running away.
After 5 minutes of silence with Drew fiddling with the radio he says, "Damn Ju, you look good. I've missed you. You gotta a man now?"
Jude inwardly sighs. Yup, same Drew. No how have you and Elena been just are you available. She fidgets then replies, "nope. Too busy. Not interested in dating."
He chuckles, "you mean you're just waiting for me. Baby, I'm here. Let's go out tonight, huh?"
More cringing from Jude, but he's watching the road unaware of the uncomfortableness she is feeling. He's close to the greyhound station, but Jude said she is going to the Bill Miller's across from it. She doesn't want him to know she is leaving.
"I can't. Work and I'm really tired,"she says with a fake yawn.
"Alright. But soon. Give me your number." He pulls up to the bbq place and puts his hand on her thigh.
Jude quickly unbuckles and almost tumbles out of the truck.
"Get it from Lori," she smiles and slams the door.
He peels off. Her smile bigger knowing Lori, even with a flat ride or die tire, would never give him her number. A realization hits her. This last stop wasn't the hardest at all. It felt the most freeing. Jude looks up at the Bill Miller sign and thinks to herself, "a poor boy for the road sounds really good."

I laughed at myself when I realized Jude is getting more food. Think I'm putting too much of myself in this character. But the adventure is getting closer! Please keep commenting. Should she meet Shawn right away or have some alone adventure first? 💜