7. Best Friend

That night sleep refused to come to me. I just made the most important decision in my whole existence. Not that I regretted it– I totally didn't. It was just the fact that I knew everyone's fate but mine was bothersome. This wasn't a game where if I die, I can just respawn at the nearest checkpoint or continue with the remaining 2 or 3 lives left or quit the game and restart everything all over again. No.

I could literally die here.

A long sigh left my lips. After what felt like an eternity of tossing and turning, I gave up the hope for sleep to overtake me. I slipped on my flat shoes and walked outside. The crisp, chilly night air hit my face. I inhaled deeply, letting the cold to seep on my skin as a means to distract me from my own thoughts.

It was a peaceful night. My surroundings were less busy even though I could still see some elves walking about soundlessly doing their business.

Craving solitude and a change of scenery, I decided to venture towards my favorite garden. As I walked, I kept my head down in attempt to avoid the eyes of the passing elves.

You'd think that after a few weeks living in an elven city, you'd get used to their unsettling beauty and curious eyes, wondering what a mortal woman doing here. I understood their curiosity and I've dealt with them well. But right now I wasn't in the mood to deal with any of it.

I let out a squeal when I suddenly hit a wall. I tumbled back, but before I fall on my butt, a pair of strong but gentle elvish arms held me back by my arms.

Note to self: Attempting to walk without looking forward in an elven city is a bad idea.

Why? Because elves were so light on their feet that they didn't make a single sound when they walk. Elves were basically supermodel ninja.

"Sorry!" I blushed furiously until I met Legolas amused smirk. I exhaled loudly as I recovered from my shock. I grumbled.

"Legolas! You should totally pay attention to where you're going!" I exclaimed with a fake dramatic frustration. "At least make some noise when you walk!"

He rolled his eyes. "You are welcome," he replied with a smug grin. I punched him lightly on his arm and we chuckled.

"What are you doing up so late?"

"I could ask you the same thing, Leane."

"Couldn't sleep," I admitted.

Legolas nodded and said, "I too. 'Tis not the time for me to rest yet."

"Why? It's late. What business can you possibly have at such ungodly hour?" I asked.

"Elves do not require as much sleep as mortals do."

Ah, one more new fun fact about the elves. I nodded.

"I'm on my way to the garden. Care to join me?" he asked, offering his right arm which I took happily. I beamed. I did expect to find some solitude, but Legolas' presence was always calming and pleasant, so I didn't really mind.

"Of course, mellon nin," I chirped as we began walking arm in arm.

Legolas slowed his track and turned his head to look at my face. I sensed a sudden, mild surprise and happiness in my heart. It was weird to say the least; I seemed to have weird emotional whiplash these days.

"'Tis the first time you ever regarded me as a friend, Leane," he said with such softness and wonderment in his electric blue eyes. I blinked. He placed his hand on his heart and bowed his head slightly towards me with such grace and sincerity that only elves possessed.

"I shall forever cherish your friendship, mellon nin. Hannon le," he thanked me.

His words came as a surprise to me. First, I just realized that all this time I had never verbally called him 'my friend' before. I didn't think it would mean so much to him.