Chapter 22 - I Won't Say

Chapter 22 – I Won't Say

The interior doesn't disappoint. It is as beautiful and grand as the shell of this man-made paradise. The backyard is so wide that it can even accommodate a horse race anytime. Growing flowers and gorgeously trimmed bushes and trees add to its exquisiteness. It's like one of those Disney castles.

I can imagine Damien growing up here. It must have been a whole lot of adventure having all the luxury in the world, all the servants at your disposal, and most of all, all the fun to do anything without worry. Damien has all these. No wonder he's got no idea how suffering feels because he's never had a shred of experience of it. That's why he can easily play around people who suffer a lot and doesn't even feel ashamed about it. He's always on cloud nine; my eyes can't deceive me. It's not that he's primarily and purely evil, he just hasn't felt how it sucks so he must have not known. Somehow, I pity him despite the big fortune he has in his pocket. Even though he's intelligent, there are also some other things he does not know and will never get to know. With this, I slightly have the upper hand. Damien, after all, can't always have everything. I know I sound a little bitter for having the biggest share of suffering while he doesn't even get a tiny percent of it, but I'm trying to shift its undesirable facets just so I feel better.

As we enter through the large foyer, marbled and all shimmering with crystal chandeliers atop me, I can't help but establish contrasts between my life and his. I am not even an inch of his toe in terms of financial stability. Though he isn't explicitly shoving it on my face, it's like he's mentally telling me that I am so little, I don't belong here.

Or it just my insecure ego telling me so.

Damien hasn't even breathed a word about me being financially challenged, and here I am, all gritty to judge him. He's nothing but nice the entire time. He drove me to his place without his crazy old tactics. Astonishingly, he has been sensitive and cooperative to me. No teasing and no face-palming arguments ever occurred, which is quite new to me. He was very silent — creepily silent, I must say, that even I wonder if he lost some screw in his head.

The whole time, I pressed my palms together, praying Damien won't bring the kissing topic. For sure, I would lose the dispute. I haven't regained the confidence to say something smart as a counter. Maybe I will never be since he's already found out my secret.

Has he or has he not?

"Are you okay, Angel?"

I quickly pull back before Damien could land his hand on my forehead. There's a glint of worry on his face, but I will never have the courage to assume that the concern was for me.

"I'm fine," I reply as swiftly as I can while shaking the heat off my face.

A skinny old man with a balding head in a neatly pressed raven black suit comes to greet us with a warm smile. With the way he walks and the manner he gestures his hands like we're some royalty, he's most probably the butler.

"Good morning, sir," he says as he lightly bows his head to Damien. "I have everything arranged as you ordered."

"Well done, Thomas. Thank you." His friendly nature surfaces.

"And what can I do for our guest here, sir?" He turns his scrutinizing gaze on me. His funny little mustache moves up and down as his gaze travels from my head to my toes. He honestly reminds me of old Maurice, the janitor at the west building of our campus. I actually wish I can read Thomas' mind and know what he thinks of me. Not that I worry what he could be thinking about me, but he might perceive things the wrong way, and I don't think I'm even in the right place to correct him if ever he's gone in that direction. Not with Damien around.