Chapter 36, Blood and chaos

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

- Mark Twain

I need to get everything done before 11 PM, I tell myself

I need to get everything done before 11 PM, I tell myself. The unknown number said that I have a window frame to dance with Amber before that, but...

But how can I dance with someone that might disappear in my arms?

What happened two years ago quickly flashes through my memory.

"Hey, stop looking so glum little bro," Kyle said. He had always been the enthusiastic one between the two of us.

I handed my brother a smile when I spotted the orange paint on the sleeves of his tailored jacket. I always loved the fact that he was constantly covered in paint. He was going to be a great leader.

What followed was the deafening sound of great cries of gunfire and warning as the street lit up. The sound of automatics were everywhere and my father shouted at us to get down before a swarm of bullets forced him to duck himself.

Rhodes. Owen Rhodes and his Dad were the first people I saw.

"Watch out!" Kyle yelled and dived for me just as a loud shot came from Owen's Dad.

My brother landed with a hard thud on top me and he grinned when he looked down. "Always got to save my little bro," he said and got back up from where we were hiding behind the van.

I smiled right back, but then Kyle frowned and slowly reached back with his hand. He felt at the back of his left shoulder and when he brought back his hand, it was covered in blood...

"Blake?" he asked just as a pool of red formed from under him and he collapsed.

The gunfire turned louder. Unbearable. Smothering. I couldn't breathe... I still can't...

I'm back in the warmly lit mansion.

11 PM. I just have to dance with Amber before then and then I can be rest assured I might still be in the running for this bet.