Kisses in the Park {Adelaide}

Later that Day

I close up the log book and stand up, stretching a bit. I've literally been sitting here in the park counting birds with different colored bands for two hours. And as much as I love being out in the fresh summer air, birdwatching, I need a break, "Did you get a good sample, Miss Cavanagh?" Asks Doctor Ingham.

"I believe so, Doctor Ingraham," I reply and walk over to give the log book to him, "We're definitely seeing an increase in red and lime green banded birds from last month."

He looks over the numbers and hums, nodding, "Indeed we are. Er, go ahead and take your hour-long break."

"Very well." I retrieve my bag and exhale, rubbing my temple to relieve some of the tension. It's been a busy day since I was reassigned to the ZSL Bird Tagging Team. So for most of the day I've been catching birds to put on colored bands and then watching to keep track of which ones are at each of the seven sites we visited today. Exhausting.

While walking through the park to find a good spot to sit down, relax and eat my nearly forgotten lunch, yellow police tape stretches across my path, "What..?" I look up from the ground and notice that I'm on the border of a crime scene.

"Well look who it is! Here to help out again?" I turn my head and watch as Sergeant Donovan struts up, "We don't need any of your help today, sorry."

"N-No, I didn't realize-"

"Or are you here for Sherlock?"

"I-I-I-"

She sneers and calls out, "Hey, freak!! Someone's here for you!!" A deep blush heats up my face and I want to run, but Sherlock is here and I might as well say hi to my boyfriend since he's here. In seconds he appears but I'm too flustered because of Donovan to say or do anything, "It's your girlfriend. Going to go out and have a date in the morgue, psychopath?"

"That is none of your concern, Sally. Do return to your own work," Sherlock says and approaches, "Hello, Adelaide."

"Hey, Sh-Sherlock."

"Sally, I believe Lestrade needs you for paperwork," He chides and Donovan huffs before eventually leaving us alone. After she's gone he slips under the police tape and a gentle smile appears on his face, "I didn't expect you to be in the park. I presume you're around here for the ZSL?"

I nod, "Yeah. Last minute reassignment. And I see there's been a crime here?"

"Err, yeah. Simple homicide case."

We stand in front of each other for a few moments before i clear my throat, "Well, um, I was just looking for a spot to have lunch. I'll get going and let you finish up."

"Nonsense. I'm hardly needed for a consult on this case anymore. Perhaps we could find a spot together?"

"S-Sure..?"

"Excellent. I know where we should go."

"Lead on, then." I reply and he takes me by the hand, leading me to a bench under a low oak tree that's tucked out of the way with a nice view of the rest of the park.

"Is this acceptable, Adelaide?"

I nod eagerly, "Yes! This is perfect, Sherlock!" He smiles brighter and sits down beside me on the bench, not very close but close enough for us to be labelled as a couple by anyone passing by. I take out my lunch and get an idea. I wasn't able to get him to eat anything this morning. Maybe now he'll eat?, "Sherlock?"

"Yes, Adelaide?"

"I have enough to share with you. Would you like some?" I offer. He debates it and sighs.

"Very well, but only a little." I smile to myself and make sure to give him as much as he'll allow himself to ingest. This could take a long time, but I hope I'll be able to help him start eating better. He could use a healthier diet, especially with his work.

After eating, we sit in comfortably beside each other. He doesn't shirk when I reach out for his hand, so I clasp mine around his and he tightens the grip. I think he likes it more than he'll admit. I muse to myself and lean back against the bench, resting my back and clearing my head.

"Adelaide?"

"Yes, Sherlock?" I open my eyes and look at him.

"U-Um,.. before you have to go back to your work.. Well... you wouldn't mind if I..."

"If you what?" I study him and then I get the hint. I smile and giggle, "Oh. You want to kiss me?"

His cheeks turn an adorable shade of light pink but he replies somewhat steadily, "Y-Yes. We have only shared a few since we started our relationship and-"

I sit back up and place my free hand on his forearm to soothe him, "It's alright, Sherlock. I know you're new to this."

"So..?"

I nod, "Yes."

Then I brace myself, remembering how he's knocked me off my feet every other time we've kissed. He probably doesn't know how good of a kisser he is because he's so nervous and shy about sentiment and expressing his feelings. But oh can he show them-

After a few moments of contemplation he leans in and presses his lips against mine. I stop thinking and focus on him, kissing back and leaning in as well. It's the sweet beginning to what becomes a string of gentle kisses. With each one he becomes more confident and eventually the kisses deepen, accompanied by him resting his hands on my waist.

And not to my surprise, we lose track of time.

"Sherlock, where are- Whoa!!"

Thank you for reading!! Cheers!!