TWENTY FIVE

Hi. I've just finished reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller and that book is so heart breaking and beautiful and divinely written and just - wow. Ok. It's wow.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

- Alex's POV -

His jaw did not drop. He did not gape at her, or gasp dramatically.

But he did feel as though time slowed down, as though she was moving in slow motion, as if the world was spinning too fast and he and Juliet were the only ones alive on the planet.

She was in a very classy golden dress, wearing black strappy high heels. Her honey blonde hair was curled only a bit, and it was left loose. Her face was beautiful, as usual, but he could see that she had a little bit of make up on. Emerald earrings hung from her ears, matching with her eyes. Plain black bracelets adorned both wrists.

He couldn't take his eyes off of her. She was a goddess.

Katherine cleared her throat loudly, and Alex snapped out of his daze. He looked at her, a little irritated. Why was she interrupting his day dreaming?

He didn't even want to go on this date, but his step mother said that if he went on this one then he didn't have to go on another for the next two months.

He pitied the American girl he was forced to date - Katherine. She didn't deserve this. But alas, she didn't seem like a decent human being, so maybe she did deserve it. He didn't get a nice vibe from her.

Cain and Juliet stopped in front of them, and Cain beamed. "You don't look like shit. Finally, Camden."

Alex rolled his eyes. "I'm surprised you're wearing a suit to a formal event. Are you running a fever?"

Cain chuckled.

Alex glanced at Juliet and waited for her to say something.

Finally, she said, "I've seen worse looking imbeciles. Good job, Alex. You clean up well."

That was all he was going to get, and he gladly took it.

He wanted to tell her that she looked like one of the divine goddesses themselves and more, but instead, he settled for a measly, "you don't look too shabby yourself."

She laughed softly and then looked sharply at Katherine.

Cain tensed, as though he was excited for something.

And then Alex realised what was going on.

Oh.

This was Cain's plan to make Juliet jealous. Alex worriedly looked at Juliet. Did Katherine need protecting? Juliet could handle herself on her own, he had no doubt - but Katherine, on the other hand, didn't seem very...

He didn't know the word for it.

But then Juliet spoke, and he forgot every other word in the english language.

"And who the fuck might you be?"

She did not sound pleased.

***
- Juliet POV -

WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON?

SHE LEFT ALEX ALONE FOR ONE SECOND AND HE'S ALREADY GOING OUT ON A DATE WITH THIS TRAMP?

And Alex almost kissed her the other day.

I mean, he didn't, but he could have. And they had a moment. Does that not mean anything anymore?????????

Juliet asked nicely, "and who the fuck might you be?"

Katherine smiled sweetly. "I could ask you the same thing, palm tree."

Juliet chuckled. "Palm tree? Is that all you can come up with?"

Katherine sneered, "Listen. I don't know what your problem is, but I really think you need to chill out. And maybe learn some manners."

What are manners? Juliet thought.

She smiled kindly. "The only one who needs to learn something here is you - developing a sense of fashion would be a start." She frowned at Katherine's hair. "Your head looks like a crows nest. Who in the world did it for you?"

Katherine said proudly, "my stylist. She was very expensive."

"Change her. She's clearly shit at her job," Juliet announced. "You should've come with hair that's pulled back gently and then braided. It would have looked less ugly."

Katherine growled at Juliet. "Excuse me, but who do you think you are to question me? Typical European. No manners."

"I'm going to ignore that last comment, for your safety," Juliet informed her.

"Whatever. Well, I am Katherine," said Alex's date. "Katherine Lynch."

Juliet smirked. "I didn't know we were pulling out last names, but okay. I'm Juliet Ashton."

Katherine blinked. "Oh."

Juliet wanted to cackle with glee at the expression on her face. She couldn't believe the situation. This skank suddenly appears out of nowhere trying to steal Alex from her and -

Juliet wanted to smack herself. He wasn't hers, and never would be.

"Anywho," Juliet said, "where are you two going?"

"We're on a date," Katherine said smugly.

"Good for you." Tramp.

"What about you?" Alex asked, trying to look as un-interested as possible.

Juliet nearly grinned. "We're on a date as well." She held Cain closer, and her hand on his arm tightened just the slightest bit, warning Cain not to open his fucking mouth.

Alex looked like he didn't care at all, but his mouth tightened a bit.

Victory! Juliet thought.

"Enjoy your date," Juliet said sweetly. They walked past Alex and his bloody date.

Juliet made sure to put a little more emphasis on her hips when she walked away, hips swaying gently.

She did not like that Katherine girl.

~ a few hours later ~

The birthday party was a dud.

But it had brought something to Juliet's attention.

She liked Alex.

Yes, it took her some time to admit it. But she wasn't going to beat around the bush, especially when some tramp was sniffing around him.

She finished her small glass of wine and put it on her kitchen counter.

How did she come to admitting to herself that she liked him? Well, she was going on and on about how he could never be hers, when she paused and asked herself, why not?

And then it hit her.

So her plan for now was simple.

She was going to win over Alex Camden.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .