⌈0⌋

CHAPTER ZERO
ɢᴏɴᴇ

words: 1000

24TH DECEMBER 1932

24TH DECEMBER 1932

IT WAS A COLD WINTER DAY, white snow falling down on the small french town of Auray, Brittany. Small footprints from the inhabitants of the town imprinted into the frozen waterdroplets. The below-freezing temperatures of that Christmas evening leaving the streets completely clear.

Black flumes of smoke funnelled out of the brick chimneys of each house down the street. Orange light streamed onto the street through the windows. The street was almost silent, barring the sound of a few birds singing, rats prancing through the streets, cats dancing in the snow, and dogs barking at their owners after being left out the house.

A man walked down the wintery street, a large turkey in hand. The finishing piece of their delicious dinner was coming to their house. He stumbled over his feet on the ice, every now and then, chuckling as he did this. For today was a merry day. Christmas day.

He opened the front door, immediately seeing his merry family rushing around the house preparing for the celebrations. He smiled at his family, a rare occurence at this household.

He was buried under piles of work trying to pay off the large debt he had
collected over the past year. His bakery failing his pay, earning almost nothing for the first half of the year.

He placed the large turkey in the kitchen, his wife preparing the other parts of their dinner already. He began to prepare the meat, much to the dismay of his wife. She wanted to complete the meal herself, but their family was far from traditional.

Mr Kim called down his three children for dinner, presents in hand for each of them. This year they're nothing amazing, but for the three it's a miracle. Only the oldest understood the money problem their family had suffered that last year. The middle, not so much. As for the youngest, he barely understood what a Franc was.

"Merry Christmas everyone!" Mr Kim held up his glass for a toast. They all click glasses, excluding Taehyung who uses his cup. "Open your presents!" He said as he gave each child a present.

Seokjin, the eldest, was first to unwrap his present as a tradition. The old newspaper scraps fell onto the floor as he held up a little puppet angel, he smiled widely and hugged his parents.

"It's amazing! Thank you so much!" He squealed at the puppet.

The next to open their present was Namjoon. He carefully unwrapped the old newspaper and threw it into the bin, unlike Seokjin. He held a small, tatty teddy.

He almost bursted into tears, a teddy is an expensive gift. Even this small, tatty little teddy was expensive. He thanked his parents profusely.

And finally... Taehyung, the youngest, opened his present. His was the most scrappy opening of the newspaper. He almost cried when he sees a little wind-up steam train. Immediately he ran to his little corner of their already small living room. The rest of the family laughed at the youngest, such a merry day it is. Very, very merry.

After eating their dinner, the three children were sent to their room for some sleep. They went up to their shared room, each going to their own oak beds.
Their mother and father walked in, wishing them all a merry christmas and goodnight.

"Book! Book!" Taehyung pleaded to his parents. They both sat down on the end of Taehyung's bed.

"What about 'A visit from St. Nicholas'?" His mother asked. He nodded eagerly.

When his mother had finished telling the story, the three children were fast asleep. The parents lay a small kiss onto the cheek of each of their children, wishing them a good night.

"Jin. Jin." Taehyung whispered as he climbed into the oldest's bed.
"What?" Seokjin gruntsd, half-asleep.
"I feel- I feel as if something bad has happened." The youngest whimpered as Seokjin hugged him tightly.

"It's just a feeling. Nothing bad has happened." Seokjin reassured. "Good night, Tae-Tae."

"G'night."

Morning dawned on the little brick house of the Kim's. The orange glow as the sun rised in the horizon casted beautiful dark shadows on the back garden. The birds called eachother to wake up for the day. Every morning was a new start for the families of the town.

Seokjin was the first to wake up in the house, which is unusual. Usually both his parents are awake when he wakes up, but he gave it no second thought.

An hour later, and no one else was up. He decided to let his brothers have a small laying, so he went up to his parents room.

"Mother, father." He called for his parents. No answer.
"Mother? Father?" He called again, not wanting to impede on their privacy by accident. But there were no sounds coming from the room.
He opened the door, a creek breaking the eerie silence of the house. He rushed into their room.

Blood. Lots of it.

A large pool of the metallic, crimson liquid had solidified beneath his parents. The smell of rotting flesh entered his nostrils.

Murdered.

He quickly ran to his room, throwing all of his belongings - and his brothers' belongings - into some bags. He carefully placed the three toys ontop.

"Taehyung. Namjoon. We have to leave now!" He screamed at his brothers in panic. "We have to leave!" Tears began to pour down his face.

The two younger brothers were utterly confused, but obeyed anyway. They put their shoes on over their baggy trousers of their pajamas and ran downstairs behind Seokjin.

"It's mother and father." Seokjin croaked. "They're dead."

All that could be heard in the neighbourhood was their loud, screaching cries. The neighbours knew what had happened straight away.

The coldblooded killer had striked again.

New book, who this?

Again with another book Becca? Yes, procrastination game on point.

I hope you enjoyed this 'little' teaser, if you did please VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE!