Chapter Twelve

I woke up in a haze. My head was hurting and my mouth was dry. I slowly opened my eyes, not really wanting to see where I was. I squinted my eyes - the area was dark. I was in a cell, and it looked like I was in the bottom of a ship.  

"Well looky here, our lovely mermaid is up," A gruff voice said. 

I looked up to see a tall man looming over my cell. 

I shook my head, even though it still hurt, "I'm not a mermaid." 

"That's right," He said and smiled, showing some black teeth, "Your a siren. An evil creature that kills pleasant men like us." 

"I'm not a siren! I'm just a normal woman! Why do you think I have legs?" I said. 

"I saw what was happening to you in that water, I ain't blind." 

I was about to explain when I stopped myself. I couldn't tell this pirate about Atlantis... He would force me to tell him where the ruby was and use me to enter for his own crew. I couldn't put Lars's crew in danger like that, even if I wasn't sure they were going to come for me. If I couldn't explain that to this pirate... then how would I get myself out of this mess. Maybe I wouldn't...

"What do you want with me," I said. 

He laughed, "Do you realize that not one man has ever been able to catch one of you? I'm not sure what I'll do with you yet. Sell you, kill you, use you for intel. I'll keep you updated," He said and began to walk away. 

"I need water!" I cried, my voice threatening to give out. 

"What, so you can attack me when I bring it to you? I don't think so, mermaid," He growled and walked away. 

I closed my eyes and rested my head on the metal bars, trying hard not to cry. What was I going to do? How the hell was I going to get out of this one? If I didn't starve to death soon, I would be sold or killed by these pirates. I put my head between my knees as nausea filled my stomach. 

"Please, please come back for me," I whispered. 

I didn't even know who I was talking to. Gabe, maybe Michael. I knew they cared about me. When it came to Lars, he could easily find a girl to replace me, and she wouldn't be any problem to him. I on the other hand would demand a portion of our findings. 

I groaned. This was hopeless. 

***

I didn't even know how many days it's been. Maybe it's only been a day... maybe a week. They didn't feed me, they didn't give me water - I was so weak. I just wanted to sleep. Sleep for a long time. I let my eyes close. 

"Don't go falling asleep on me yet," A voice said. 

It was a voice that belonged to a young man - a familiar voice. 

"Gabe?" I said with my eyes still closed. 

The man didn't reply, but proceeded to pick me up off of the floor into a bridal carry. 

I finally opened my eyes, "Lars?" 

"You really thought we weren't going to come for you?" He said, walking out of the cell. 

"Yeah," I mumbled, still drowsy. 

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Lars said in a cool tone. 

I wanted to ask how he got on the ship and how he opened my cell, but I was too tired. I rested my head on his chest and let my eyes close again. 

"Stop right there, pirate," I heard a man growl. 

I opened my eyes - we were on the main deck now, and we were suddenly surrounded by the whole crew. 

"Did you think this part through?" I asked. 

"Nope," Lars said. 

"Are you trying to steal my siren, boy?" 

"First of all, It's Captain," Lars growled, "Second of all, she's not a mermaid. She's a woman, and a bloody respectable one at that. She's probably more intelligent than all of you combined. Third of all, she's not yours."

I was shocked by his words. 

"She is a siren, I saw it with my own eyes. In fact, let's prove it right now. Someone bring me a rope," The Captain yelled.

My stomach dropped. 

The Captain walked over to us. Four men lunged at us, one grabbing me, the other three grabbing Lars. The Captain tied my hands and legs up, "That's so you don't get away from me, love," He grinned, "To the plank!" 

Two other pirates drug me over to the plank. I stumbled on to it, struggling not to fall over. I finally caught my balance and looked back at the crew, at Lars. 

He was still trying struggling to get out of their grip, but we were outnumbered. 

"On with it!" One of the men said. 

"Wait!" Lars yelled. 

I looked back at him. He looked at me. Then I saw it in his eyes - he had a plan. 

"What now," The Captain said, rolling his eyes. 

"At least let me say goodbye, would you let me do that? My one last act alive? I know your going to kill me," He said, "It's bad luck to refuse a pirates last wish." 

The Captain smirked, "We have lovebirds on our hands now do we?" he nodded to the men holding Lars back, "Go ahead. It'll make your death even more tragic for her," He laughed. 

I tried my best not to look relieved. This was our last hope. Lars stumbled out of their grip and made his way towards me. He stepped on the plank and without wasting any time, grabbed my back and kissed me. It was a deep, passionate kiss. Nothing like I'd ever felt before. We kissed as if we were saying goodbye forever - that's what the crew thought at least. His one hand was in my hair while the other on my back. I felt his hand in a ball on my back - I knew he was holding the ruby, but he hadn't given it to me yet. He continued to savour me, to kiss me deeper, more passionatley. Was the ruby affecting him somehow?

"Lars," I whispered, breaking the kiss, "Give me the ruby." 

His eyes went from my lips to my eyes, and suddenly looked embarrassed. Without saying another word, he put the ruby into my hand. 

"Cover your ears, don't look at me, I need you alert," I whispered. 

He nodded. I started to sing the song. The confused crew suddenly went still, their eyes pinned on me. Every one of them was in the trance. 

Lars probably would've gotten me out of these ropes, but he had to have both of his hands to cover his ears. I looked over at him. He was standing behind me on the plank, his hands tightly around his ears and his eyes averting mine. I finished the song and Lars grabbed my waist and we both jumped off the plank. I tried my best not to panic, but that's your usual instinct when you fall into the ocean with your arms and legs tied up. I was still holding the ruby when Lars grabbed my and pulled me up to the surface. He untied my arms and legs but I was still too weak to swim. 

"Lars," I said out of breath, "I can't."

He knew what I meant and immediately grabbed me. I tried my best to kick, but I was sure it didn't do much. 

We finally got to the ship and flopped on the deck, both of us breathing heavily. 

"Lee!" Gabe said and bent down to me, wrapping me in his arms, "I was so worried about you."

His warm body felt nice on my cold, soaked clothes. 

"Get her food and dry clothes immediately," Lars said, still panting. 

Gabe nodded and picked me up, noticing my weak state, "Looks like your finally a part of the crew now," He said and smiled.