Chapter 148: No Bittersweet Blue

Anastasia felt warm. The lights were on, but dim. She could turn over in the comforters and feel undisturbed by them, spreading her feet to the side and kicking at the cover when it revealed her feet to the outside world. They were hanging over the edge of the bed and it was strangely difficult to bring them back.

     I'm in bed?

     It made sense. Anastasia was always tired. If she wasn't reading, she was sleeping.

     And at that moment, she felt particularly exhausted. Aware that she'd awakened from a deep sleep, Anastasia began to squeeze her eyes and prepare them to be opened to the bright surroundings already permeating her eyelids.

     Orange.

     It was the first thought that came to mind when seeing the room, even though not a single bit of it was orange. It was rather the owner that came to mind, when seeing the tall walls, branches sticking out here and there, furniture made out of nature that seemed transplanted from one scene of greenery to another rather than cut down, killed, sculpted, and polished. The large windows behind the bed let in natural light of a fading sun. It seemed like she'd only been out for a few minutes, since it was the same time of day she'd last seen when dashing through the northern Fae forests...yet she was in a completely different place, and her mana reservoir felt as empty as it would've been after exhausting it and collapsing on the spot for a day.

     The halfling sat up, hands dragging over covers so silky that touching them felt like touching a cloud. They were so light, falling off of her without much prompting, when swinging her heavy legs out of bed. A headache was setting in from getting up too fast.

     "The-"

     Her throat was dry. Her tongue was thick. Speaking was tough when it felt like all of the liquid in her mouth had evaporated.

     ...Fae Palace?

     Feet hitting the floor, the halfling looked down at herself. Clean clothes, despite the feeling that they'd been exceptionally dirty, were found. A bag lay against the bed conveniently next to where her feet landed, and a swath of late afternoon cut across her features, lighting up the red of her hair to appear reddish gold while staring out the window. The curtains were pulled aside to reveal a descending palace of grandeur, eaves and dips of tangled architecture that made up the synchronized living nature that was the Fae Pa-

     "Hello?"

     A brownie flittered before her with a broom in hand. A tiny broom. Brown sparkles were flying off its wings, patiently waiting for acknowledgement.

     "Oh..." Anastasia blinked, recognizing the brownie. In her childhood, it had been one she'd seen many times. "An...tol."

     "So you remember me?"

     The halfling nodded. The brownie, in its small stature, nodded back.

     "Here, then," it turned away, snapping its fingers. A silver cup appeared and golden liquid trickled inside. "Drink it. Your mana was completely exhausted when they found you in the forest. We don't need you getting Severe Mana Depletion like your daughter."

     "Sev-..."

     The cup thrust itself into her face as the brownie flittered away. "She's not the only one that can see Statuses. Be sure to tell her that when you get back."

     "A-" Anastasia took a small sip of the drink, trying to get her voice back. Why was her throat so dry? "Antol!"

     "I'll go tell the royals you're awake. They'll tell you everything."