Do Not Read

Oh! you still came on here after reading the title? 😂 Awwww I guess you loved this book too much 😘

So, many have DMed me begging for snippets from the sequel.... Oh yes there'll be a sequel, just that I haven't done justice to it the way I desire. And in response to that, I've decided to put this together for your reading pleasure.
****

I can't quite describe the feelings that has enveloped me as I sit on this wooden bench, at this park, staring Steve in the eye. Since I ran into him more than a year ago, he's become an irreplaceable part of my life, someone who has done so much for me, much more than I can ever imagine. Steve is one great memory I can boast of, from my stay in Mama's life.

The park appeared white, thanks to the many buses which were painted same. It was busy as usual with buses hovering all over. Old metal boxes were placed on some of the buses with their destination boldly written on them. Passengers and attendants juggle around busily, some dragging along their luggage while simple travelers like me carry their handbags or backpacks elegantly as they tried to locate their bus.

A park attendant hugs a travellers' log book as she walks over to a bus which has a bold 1842 encircled just under it's side mirror. She raised the wiper and placed the book underneath it. Replacing the wiper, the book is hooked firm to the windscreen, not giving the brewing breeze any room to blow it away.

Passengers file out from the bus as a commotion ensued on who should write their name first. Shaking her head, the attendant quietly walks away. I smiled and looked away, returning my gaze to Stephen.

He was head bowed, his forehead shining fiercely at the reflection of the sun. It wasn't his desire for me to leave today, but I needed to, even though it hurts me too.

Being offered admission into a university in a far away state is something of joy to me, and I'm sure to him too but the thought of many miles keeping us apart, and the young alluring life I might encounter has made him more sober than I'd expected.

The open canteen where we sat had become a bit empty with people filing out as they finished their meals. Steve had wanted me to eat but I wasn't hungry, instead I'd taken a bottle of fanta with a not-so-good looking meatpie they'd put on sale in the showcase. It didn't only look awful, it tasted bad too.

I glanced at my bag which was sitting comfortably on the wooden table separating Steve and I, lifting my eyes off it, I slowly placed it on him.

"Steve?" I more of hummed than called. He didn't raise his head, he only lifted his eyes so he could see me.

His bottom lip was reddish from his constant sucking, with his eyes pale from too much worry.

"I just need to secure this admission,  you know it's very important. I'll just pay the acceptance fee and some other minor fees and I'll be back to spend sometime with you" I said reaching out for his hand which he'd clasped together and placed in between his knees.

"Where will you stay?" He asked looking up to face me. "You don't know anyone there, neither do you have a room, so where will you lay your head?" I could read the bitterness in his eyes. "I told you to hold on till next week so I can get some money and maybe get a hotel for you, even if it's for three days. Somewhere you can stay while doing your clearance but as always Nne, you're very stubborn!" He was sitting upright now. "You want me to go home and die of worry, thinking of how you are? You.... "

"I'll be fine Steve, you really worry a lot. I've passed through so much pain to allow just few days in a strange land to kill me" I said laughing. He didn't find it funny. Not at all.

"Fine, if it'll make you feel better, I can call my cousin who lives a state away, I might be shuffling from her house"

"With which money? All I handed over to you is a meagre eighteen thousand naira, how would you survive?" Steve was angry. Sad. "Your acceptance fee is how much again? Ten thousand Naira right?" He was counting with his fingers as though he were in kindergarten. It looked funny. "And your medical fee? Four thousand five hundred Naira correct? And these two must be paid together if I read correctly! How much does that leave you with Nne?" His eyes were pleading with me to have a rethink.