Forty-Seven: Conditions

*Rush*

The air in the room suddenly burned. The flames seemed to grow so strongly, all in accordance with Aletha. Her miasma spilled hard into his nostrils. The scent of honey and...ashes.

His mate was watching Kellhum with hard malice. Her dark brows were furrowed, her lips slanted down, her teeth revealing her gleaming fangs. She looked marvelous, Rush thought. She looked terribly beautiful when she was angry.

But he already knew that, didn't he?

She'd been so angry with him in the beginning of their time together. She was a flame, burning him alive. And that fiery streak was back with a vengeance. Rush began to smile as he withdrew his hand from his brother's guts. Blood spewed to the ground. Kellhum looked like he'd just seen a ghost. The male's body was trembling as he stared at Aletha.

Rush really couldn't blame his brother for fearing Aletha, though. She was a sight, wasn't she. With red hair almost levitating in the air like snakes. Her claws, to his shock, were like his mother's—red. He hadn't seen that before. Or the tiny green sparks shooting out of the tips of her fingers.

His mother looked wrathful when she saw Aletha this time. Her eyes burned brutal red. "A demon," Vicera shouted. "I can feel her essence! This is a blasphemous mating!"

Aletha turned to her very quickly. Her eyes were animalistic, but her voice was even deadlier. "If I'm a demon, then what are you?"

Vicera was positively shaking. The burning fury in her body was almost personal. "Come away, Kellhum, quickly! Don't let that female touch you with her essence. She will seduce you and then she will consume your soul!"

"Ah, but mother dearest," Rush drawled slowly. He was still alarmed by what Aletha's physical appearance. Something had seemed to come undone inside of her, enough to unleash a dark part of her he'd felt all along but couldn't put his finger on. "Kellhum has no soul." He glanced over at his brother, smiling sharply. "Right, Kellhum?"

His brother couldn't even move. He went so pale that he looked like a piece of parchment.

"What is in that necklace?" Maddox inquired now. "Care to explain?"

The walls above them began to crack. Stones fell the ground. The fire flickered outrageously against his mother. "This dinner is over."

"Is it," Maddox said. He was pacing now, moving among his warriors. Since his form was hidden, only his voice gave away where he was in the tower. "You are hiding something, and I will find it. You don't think I won't follow through with my promise I made centuries ago, do you? The promise about finding your soul?"

His harsh, deep laughter echoed through the tower. The sound was so evil, that even Rush had to remind himself that this male was on his side. If Maddox was his enemy, then that would be something to fear

The green sparks on the tips of Aletha's fingers died down, but when she touched Rush's hand, all he felt was a cool, replenishing sensation. He almost drew closer, seeking more of her touch, but Sirka was approaching them again, and Rush released his mate in the hands of his Gamma.

Take her back, he mind-linked Sirka. Keep her safe. I'll deal with my mother alone.

Rush kissed Aletha's head and whispered for her to go. Now that Maddox had that look of victory on his face, Rush knew exactly what cards to pull.

"Are you sure?" Aletha asked somewhat hesitantly.

Rush nodded. "Yes, love. You were perfect tonight. But now I want you home."

Her brown eyes widened when he said that. Home. Of course, she'd always believed she was an outsider, that she would never be accepted. She always thought she never had a true home. But this was her home, for as long as she wanted.