39.✔

Cassandra's POV

I've never really been afraid of much.

Yes, when I was little, the dark scared me and so did clowns but when it came to pain or dying it never really bothered me til' today when my mind woke up but my body didn't.

I can hear, think and dream but I can't move, talk or see. It's scary really, being able to hear your mother's prayers and your father's disbelief as he talks to himself.

The doctors would come in for a few moments to check up on me but never realized I am mentally awake. I've been working on moving my feet hoping if I start from the bottom and work my way up maybe I can wake my stiff body up.

As I'm sitting there trying to move my toes something wonderful happens, they move.

I can feel them and before I know it I'm starting to move my legs, then chest and all of a sudden my eyes open. The bright light from the large glass window blinds me but I don't care. I've been sitting here, in darkness, for too long.

I hear my mother gasp and then she runs over to my side, bending down and embracing me. I hug her back as tight as I can, her whispering, 'I love you.' over and over in my ear. Soon after my father joins, hugging me tight as well.

"Oh, my baby. I've been so worried. You have no idea how much I missed you and your brother." She cried into my shoulder.

"Ben? What happened to him?" I ask clueless as to what was wrong with my little brother.

My mother and father pulled away from me looking strangly at me like I had said something stupid.

"You don't remember?" They ask at the same time.

Just then the doctor walked in, a surprised expression written on his features when he saw that I was awake.

"Well, look who's woke up." He cheered making his way over to my hospital bed.

"There's something wrong." My mother quickly said standing from her sitting position.

"Alright and what is it? Because she looks fine to me." He told her smiling over at me making the wrinkles around his mouth and eyes show.

"She can't remember what happened." My mother said panic written on her soft features.

"Well it looks like it's only short term memory for she remembers you all and that's good. It's probably better that she doesn't know what happened, she'll get through this faster with the less she knows." He told both my stressing parents.

"Well, what does she remember? Anything?" My father spoke.

"We'll just have to ask her and see." The doctor smiled at me.

* * *

"Alright, Cassandra. What were you doing on January 1st?" John, my doctor, asked me.

I thought back to that day then answered as best as I could.

"Well, I had just got out of school because we needed to go that day because of all the snow days we had already taken. My mom and dad were leaving for Australia that night and I remember being mad at her because she had hired a sitter when clearly I didn't need one.

"When I got home, I ate then sat around waiting for the sitter and that's all I remember. Me and Ben were just watching TV and after that it's all blank." I spoke truthfully.

"I see. Well, the good news is you're fine and the bad news is you did loose some of your memory but really, that's better." I couldn't believe I had forgotten some of my life when it had just happened like a month ago. How could this be?

Later that night I didn't sleep well thinking about all the things I had forgotten. It scared me, not knowing. It really did.

I can only hope it comes back because I really would like to know what happened a month ago.