chapter twenty one

Emiliana's POV
I gulp before pulling the seat opposite her and sitting down, putting my hands on her lap.

"be comfortable " she gives me a lopsided smile and I keep my hands on the table and pull my chair closer to her.

"I heard from a worker that you came back to work, if I am right, you resigned, didn't you? " she asks in a knowing tone.

"yes I did" I answer quietly wishing someone will come and save me from her icy glare.

"then why did you decide to return? " she asks raising her eyebrow at me and I gulp again, searching my head for answers.

"I realized that I being jobless sucks so I begged my boss to give me a second chance " i say quickly as she tucks her hair behind her ear.

"or he begged you? " she said her voice turning cold and the smile disappearing from her face.

"no.. " I say but trail in the middle of my statement.

She reaches into her bag and brings out a bunch of pictures from her purse and throws it on the table.  A gasp escapes my lips as I stare fixated on the pictures in front of me. They were pictures of Raphael and I talking then kissing each other.

"what did you do to my son? " she scoffs and throws her head away but I keep quiet unable to say anything.

"I'm sorry" I say quietly

"sorry?,  you feel the same way? Aren't you just doing this to extort money to pay your debt because my son hasn't felt this way with any other woman,  you have him wrapped around your tiny finger" she spat her voice laced with anger and her eyes darting around my body.

"sorry? " was the only thing that came out from my mouth. How did she know about the debt?

"I did a background check on you. You owe tons of money to loan sharks,  you haven't being able to pay it for three years, after your parents died" she says again nodding her head.

My breath is hitched in my throat and I can't breathe well,  tears well up in my eyes, threatening to fall. Was she warning me to steer clear of her family.

"please, don't tell Mr Raphael about this " I beg my voice shaking.  If she tells him about everything then he will See me as pitiful and I wouldn't want that.

"about what,  about the fact that your sister was taken as hostage and went through trauma after the release or the fact that you almost killed one of their men. Which one is it then?" she asks her voice hiding a hint of laughter.

"excuse me,  I'll leave now" I jump from my seat quickly and walk faster out of the cafeteria.  The tears start falling from my eyes and I can't stop them.  I rush to the toilet and cry my heart out. The event of the past years starts flashing before my eye, how it all happened never leaves my mind for once.

After crying for few minutes, I wipe my puffy eyes and stare at myself in the mirror.  I pity myself so much it's driving me crazy.  Tears starts spilling again and I wipe my whole makeup before returning to the office.

"what? Did you have a meeting with everyone downstairs? " Raphael asks smirking at me.

"I'm sorry" I say tiredly and plop down on my seat.

I hear quick footsteps. I look up and Raphael is leaning besides me with his back on the table.  He isn't wearing his suit only his black shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbow showing his muscles.

"what's wrong? Are you sick? " he asked putting his hands on my forehead and his other hand on his forehead.

"I'm okay" I say shrugging his hands off.