Prologue

#555

I've heard it somewhere, Family is Forever, but then irony lies in the fact that one doesn't realise how much Family means until the very last moment of their time.
~ Aavya Raichand, on the day his elder brother returned.

❋❋❋

" Why did you return?" Ansh asked in his usual husky hoarse voice, more firm and sturdy. His back was turned towards his elder son, he was not sure how he might react if he confronted him directly.

" Papa..." He paused with hesitation to deliberate what he must say next, not that he had not rehearsed what his words would be but he was nervous as a little boy on his first recital at the school play.

Indeed, the pain was immense, it was intense. His heart felt heavy with guilt burdened by his actions. He was aware that he had wronged his parents, his siblings and most of all his love in myriad ways he never imagined he would.

" Ansh... He's just back..." Ahana pressed her voice.

" Ahana... It has been what? 6 years, perhaps even more." Ansh retorted but he knew exactly how much time has passed since he last saw his son in flesh.

His back was still against the two of them and their study felt stifling.

Ahana looked at her son, Aman. He had definitely grown more handsome than before. A deep shadow of his father in every aspect. Aman's cheeks were wet so were Ahana's. Her heart ached to gather him a long endearing hug but she didn't dare defy her husband who was still hurting. Somewhere in her heart, she knew that her husband felt equal misery and was distressed. He just happens to be tougher or likes to feign so, giving everyone around him a pretense that his heart is made of stone while in plain truth Ansh can be a goofball. He owes that to the dire times which forged him into that.

" Papa... Mumma... I-I am sorry... I truly am but I had to... " He was pleading but he knew it won't be enough.

" Huh? Sorry? Is it enough? Do you have the slightest hint of how your family has been, what they have endured, Aman? Do you?" He questions and continued, " I never reckoned that our upbringing was lacking but thanks to you we have some proof now. Makes me feels like the worst parent ever. I never anticipated you to be so selfish." Ansh was so irate but more than that he was simply upset.

He never expected this from Aman. Not from the one he regarded to be the most mature of the lot.

" Ansh... Let's sit and talk. " Ahana said trying to turn him around and act as a mediator.

" Ahana... Please. You can't force me this, not this time. I know how miserable everyone was because of him. Moreover, I can't bring myself to forgive him... It's so unfair for all. "

" Papa... "

" What do you need? Why are you back? " He finally turned around, asking the same question again.
He had his rimless glasses on, making him look more of a fatherly figure now than before. He had grown a bit of his beard on. His hair wasn't as jet black as it used to be, it was with specks of silver hair adorning his charm. Yet, he looked damn hot in his mid-fifties.
Ahana was no less of beauty and grace. She had maintained herself well and the two on a rather ordinary day looked as lovely and young at heart and so much in love as they used to be.

" Ansh... Can't you be more polite?"

" This is all I have got to offer..." He snapped.

" Aman... Why are you back?" Ahana interrogated.

" Fine! I wanted you guys to invest." He said trying not to sound frustrated. It was supposed to happen this way.

" Ha! I knew it. It had to involve capital. Looks like, Paris didn't pay you well. Well, life's not a cakewalk and when money matters all one can remember is their good old papa, right? " He scoffed.

" Ansh..." Ahana glared.

" Hmmm... He realised that he still owns some shares in the company... Isn't it? "

" Papa... Did you know about Paris? " Is all Aman could ask. He didn't challenge Ansh's accusation neither did he justify his statements.

" Well, Children can give up on their parents but Parents just can't. They always have your back." Ansh said but the truth was Ayan had given him a heads up about Aman returning to the city a day ago and it only took him an hour to find out from where he came. It wasn't as if he had known it all along which he wished he did but he enjoyed the moment when he took his son by surprise.

Ahana and Ansh had a brief talk about Aman earlier that day but both of them were expecting their child's come back. Their parental heart desired it no matter how hard Ansh tried to deny it he was glad to see his son.

" Since it's purely business make an appointment and meet me at the office," Ansh said after a minute of awkward silence with an air of supremacy.

" Ansh?" Ahana tried to put her discordant thoughts into words but she couldn't.

" Sure, Papa... "

Ahana looked at her son befuddled and then at her husband in desperation. Both were dismal and bleak and she felt powerless as she couldn't do anything at the moment.

Ansh left the study for their room. There was nothing more to discuss now.

" Mumma... I am really sorry..." Aman glimpsed at her mother for assurance.

" Ahana... " Ansh called.

" Mumma... Where's Ayan and Aavya?"

" Ahana..." This time it was more of a yell with a hint of restlessness and wrath.

" Coming..." Ahana glanced at her son.

" You better rest for a while..." She said and rushed behind her heavy-headed husband.

Aman took a moment to look around the house he grew up with Ayan and Aavya. He was 26 now and yet there weren't any prominent transformations around the house. Six long years and not a single day he lived when he didn't miss his family.

He took slow strides to his room. All his things were as he had left them. His bed looked like no one had slept in years. On the corridor, a portrait in a silver frame caught his eye, underneath the dim yellow light.

As he moved closer to get a better view of it, tears fell before he could comprehend his sodden feelings.

His Great Grandad along with the picture of his Great Grandmother and beloved Ma, all lined up together. He wept until there weren't any more tears left to shed. He knew he had to make a hell of a lot of things rights.

Repentance was gonna be salvation.

✿✿✿

_______________________________________________

Hey Guys!

Hoping you all are doing great in are in the best of your health.

Chapter 1 will be out 🔜
But, before that, I'll be posting a short Introduction - MEET the US to give all of you a brief about our protagonists.
Till then, let me know your thoughts about the Prologue in the comments 👇

Don't forget to Vote and Share.

Luv... ♥
Vruksha.