The Fifth Britain: 7

'We have to get out,' I said, turning from the spire's burning window. I was halfway to the stairs before I realised Zareen was not following.

She stood in the centre of the room, and there was a set look to her face that I recognised. Her skin was turning bone-white, and her eyes filling with black...

'Zar!' I snapped, and ran back to her. 'No! What did you just say to me?'

'I said "times of great need", and this would be one of them.'

'Within reason. Zar, I'd love to save this building but not at your expense. Come on.' I grabbed her arm and tried to pull her, but she shook off my hand.

'All I'm doing is waking Melmidoc,' she said, and her voice turned dark and whispery. 'If he's still home. Then we'll go, I promise.'

I would have argued, but my attention was caught by the flames that licked at the window's little panes of glass. For the most part it was your regular, common-or-garden variety of fire but there was a flicker to it that seemed odd.

'Purple,' I blurted.

Zareen didn't blink.

'Hold on, Zar! I don't think this is the demolition crew after all.' I ran to the window, pulling the sleeves of my lightweight cream cardigan over my hands. It did not do much to protect my hands, so I had to work fast as I unbolted the window and shoved it wide open. At great risk to life, limb and my primrose-coloured hair (Yes, Jay, I know I'm an idiot) I stuck my head out into the fresh morning air and took in a gulping breath.

A dark, draconic shape swooped past.

'Archie!' I bellowed.

The dragon slowed, but not, as it turned out, because he had heard me. He flew in a smooth arc and swooped down upon the hapless spire once more, fire streaming from his open maw.

'Archibald!' I bawled. 'Just what the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!'

He heard me that time. To my relief, the stream of fire flowing from his jaws slowed to a wisp or two of flame, then stopped altogether. 'Who?' I heard him say as he soared past, purple scales shining in the light of the fires he'd set.

I informed him who I was, at volume, and with some asperity.

He returned to hover gracelessly near the window, and peered at me. 'I remember you,' he said.

'I should hope so! What will the next Mayor of Dapplehaven say when he hears you've been attacking the spire?'

Archibald brightened at that. 'He's here?'

'No, not just now, but he will be joining us later.' I hoped that last part wouldn't turn out to be a lie. 'He would be most disappointed, Archie. Why would you attack Melmidoc and Drystan's home?'

'I thought you were here to destroy it,' he said in an injured tone. 'Some people are coming to take it down. A Redclover told me. She said I should come here and burn anybody who gets near the spire.'

That must be what Mabyn had meant when she'd said she had "set something in motion". To be fair to her, she hadn't known at the time that Zareen and I would be here. 'She was right,' I told Archie. 'There are some people coming to ruin Melmidoc's home, but it isn't us. We're here to stop them.'

'Oh.'

'So no more fires, all right?'

Archibald tasted the air with his long, slithery tongue. Since no more gouts of fire were forthcoming, I took this gesture for assent.