Chapter 6

Author's Note
Good afternoon everyone! I decided to give an early update. Thank you to everyone who has voted and commented, I love hearing from my readers!

QOTD Who's POV should The next chapter be in Penelope's or James'?

~~~

Penelope's POV

    Darkness. I am floating in darkness as if my soul is disconnected from my body. I feel no pain just contentment. I was enjoying the silence, but Storm quickly interrupted it.

    "Mate"

    It started off quiet, but she quickly got louder repeating the same word over and over again. At first it held no meaning. My brain was swaddled in fog, but as the fog began to clear the word gained meaning. As she repeated mate over and over again pictures flashed before my eyes.

    The first time Percy locked me in the basement was because I did not clean up fast enough. He shouted at me claiming I was "disrespecting my mate." When I asked him what he meant, he wrapped his cold hands around my throat before whispering.

    "I am your mate. You are mine. You are no one else's. I am the only one left who loves you. You are my mate Sugar."

    I shudder thinking of what he said. As Storm repeated the word images flashed to the first time... The first time Percy threw me to the floor. He claimed it was his right, and as my mate he had to "make love to me."  It was wrong the whole time it felt wrong what he was doing was not okay.

His inappropriate behavior, towards me, started when I was six; he would lay down with me whispering how I was "his mate", and how he would "protect me." It always felt wrong, but he told me it is what all mates do. Over the years it got worse, and when my parents died he began increasing his advances. Everything he did he justified by saying we were mates.

Everytime Storm repeated the word, another memory flashed before my eyes. The continuous nightmare never ending. I screamed at Storm to stop. Pleading with her, I screeched asking her to stop. Make it all stop. Suddenly it stopped when I felt sparks. Warm hands wrapped around my wrists pulling them away gently. At first I thought it was Percy, but it was much to gentle.

I glance up in fear at whoever was there. In front of me sat the most handsome man I have ever seen. His piercing blue eyes looked at me with hurt clearly visible. He quickly pulled his hands back running them through his dark hair. His hand was bruised and bloody, and he had a few large wounds with stitches across his abdomen. He wasn't one of Percy's friends, at least I didn't recognize him.

In fact I have never seen him before, yet something feels so similar. I look around the room seeing I am in a hospital. I wonder how long I have been asleep for. Fear suddenly runs through me. I reach to pull my IV out, but the man stops me.

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"I have to go. I have to get back before he realizes I'm gone." I scramble trying to get to my feet, but he holds me down telling me to calm down.

"Who do you have to get back to?"
    "Percy... my mate" I whisper not realizing I said the last part. The word has never meant much to me, but it obviously meant something to him. He let out a growl. An actual grow, humans can't do that. He flipped the chair and punched the wall with his hand. I try to stay calm, but as I watch him throw things my breathing picks up. He seemed so nice, and now he is acting like Percy. As he looks away I climb under the bed, and begin rocking back and forth. I can't breathe. I can't breathe.

As I am about to pass out to strong arms pull me out. Next thing I know he is wrapping his arms around me. The stranger rocks me back and forth whispering calming words. Our position should be uncomfortable, but I find myself relaxing into him. He touch is warm and comforting. Wherever his skin touched mine sparks ignite. His touch felt nothing like Percy's cold painful touch.

"Shhhh I am so sorry! I am so sorry." He whispers soothingly into my ear.

For the first time, in a long time, I felt safe. I fall into a deep peaceful sleep. It was the first sleep I had without any nightmares in years. I woke up to what sounded like Storm purring in my head. Opening my eyes I see that I had fallen asleep on the stranger's shirtless abs. Embarrassed I sit up, but pain shoots through my side. Lifting up my shirt I see the doctor had sewn up the large gash.

"How are you feeling?" He asked in a deep morning voice.

"It'll feel better soon." I whisper not wanting to admit I have felt worse.

The doctor walks in and checks my wound.

"When can I take her to the pack house?" he asks.

Confused I had no idea what he was talking about, "I have to leave he will find me." I whisper to myself.

He turns to me and holds my head in his hand, "You are safe now! You never have to worry about him. I will protect you..." he trails off.

"Penelope. My name's Penelope."

"Well Penelope, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am James" he introduces himself and places a kiss on my forehead.

When his lips touched my skin I melted inside. He walked into the corner talking to the doctor.

"Well good news Penelope. The doctor has cleared you, so I can take you to the pack house, but you will have to be on bed rest for the next week. Then you will have a check up." I just nod allowing him to take me out to a car.

"What's a pack house?" I quietly ask, and he just looks at me.

"It's where the Alpha and Luna stay. Along with unmated wolves." I just stared. I begin to panic. I know I felt safe around him, and something is drawing me towards him, but what if he is just another crazy person. He is obviously strong, which means he is obviously dangerous. I push myself against the car door; trying to create as much distance between us as possible.

"You have no idea what I am talking about, do you?" he asks studying me before running a hand through his hair.

"How is this possible. She's a wolf," he whispered to himself. "Penelope, I have a lot to explain. Please just wait until we get to the house. Once you are relaxed, and settled, I'll explain everything. I promise. Just try to relax, the doctor said you have to try not to stress."

I nod trying to look calm, but thoughts of what could happen swirl through my brain and I pass out against the door.