4 | Oy Vey

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.

Practice really should have started just like any other, but alas, shit just had to hit the fan.

    Rosalie readjusted the sleeves on her gnarly t-shirt from middle school track as she pushed her back into the field door. Warm air washed over her and the girls following close behind. Relief came with it, free after a long first day of classes. Her mind was already thinking of all the future exams that awaited them, but for now, she could distract herself with warmups.

    They descended the hill in the back of Bradshaw, heading for the field. "Alright, girls! Circle up!" Rosalie shouted, clapping her hands over her head.

    Kim descended fast to reach Rosalie's side. Rosalie beamed at her. "Hey! How was your first day?"

    "Alright I guess," she said with an added nervous shrug. "I feel like I've been waiting all day for this, though."

    Rosalie couldn't agree more. The best part of the day was practice, when she got the chance to forget the world for a good few hours before heading back home to Khoshekh and Mom. At the gates to the soccer fields, Kim hesitated, hands on the ledge. Her eyes looked out to the massive, blue-and-white bleachers rising up on one side of the field. They stadium bleachers were a recent upgrade, and one that provided a central tower between the home team and opposing team audiences. At the base of the tower were concessions, and the top was decorated with a sign that read, "GO FIGHT! WIN KNIGHTS!"

    The stadium scoreboard laid vacant behind them, accented in blues and whites, and backed by the forest flanking one end of the Bradshaw property line. A breeze came through and ruffled the trees as Rosalie stepped on the field for the first time that season, and gestured for Kim to follow suit.

    A girl in all white—from her hair to her clothes—came cruising in fast before Rosalie had the chance to warn Kim of the attack. In a sudden spring, the girl flew at the two of them, and latched her arms around their necks with a shriek.

    "Rose! and new girl!" she cried, squeezing them both until Rosalie struggled to breathe.

    "Brynn, Brynn, loosen the hold a little," Rosalie choked out, and smiled despite herself. She quite missed Brynn's hugs.

    Brynn stepped back, frizzy white ponytail bobbing. Her roots were darker this year—black hair growing back in again, no doubt. Her crooked smile was just about all Rosalie could focus on because it was dotted with the rainbow.

    "You got braces!" Rosalie gasped. "They look good!"

    "Thanks!" she said, beaming so wide her eyes squeezed shut. "I got the rainbow because I couldn't decide. Also, fellow ally!"

    She waved her hand as if she held a flag, only to stop and gasp at the sight of Kim again. "Nice to finally meet you! Kim, right?"

    "Yes. That would be me," Kim said, and shook Brynn's hand. "Brynn?"

    "Yup. Brynn Fox at your service," she said with a dramatic bow. She perked back up an instant later to grab Rosalie by the hand and drag her towards the circle. "You need to tell me all about your summer! I heard you and Sami are finally dating."

    "That would be a rumor, Brynn. You really need to work on figuring out the difference," Rosalie said, and Brynn deflated at that.

    Rosalie stood at the last empty spot in the circle with Kim beside her. She gestured to Kim as though presenting the state trophy. "All, this is our new recruit, Kim Simons. She transferred here from Stone Ridge, as you all know."