Chapter 25 | Didn't You Hear? I'm Pretty Badass

(unedited bc it's 1:30 a.m., I'm super tired, and I wrote about 85% of this like four hours, so don't mind any typos please)

“All of our young lives we search for someone to love, someone to make us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, someone is perfect for us.” ― The Wonder Years 

“You’re gonna get me in so much trouble,” I sleepily tell Graham, rolling over in his bed to face him.

“I didn’t make you stay over,” He reminds me with a chuckle. “But I’m really glad that you did,” He adds, leaning over and kissing my cheek.

“Me too,” I admit, glancing up at him with a small smile. “Even though my mother is probably going to murder me if she finds out that I did.”

Last night, I stayed over at Graham’s house because…well, because I just wanted to and so I did. It’s not like I had anything better to do, so I mean, why not? The funny thing though is that whenever Graham and I hang out by ourselves, we really don’t do much of anything, but I still always have so much with him.

Take last night, for example. Basically, all we did was make out (a lot), eat pizza (a bunch), listen to a Nirvana album (or maybe it was a Black Sabbath or Queen album—I don’t remember), eat ice cream, watch Red Band Society (which just so happens to be my new favorite show and Graham wouldn’t admit it, but I think that he likes it too) make out some more and then we went to sleep. So, it’s not like we do particularly fun stuff when we hang out (except for the making out, because that’s always super fun) but when we do it together, it’s fun. Or maybe I just really love being around him, I don’t know.

Anyways though, as far as Beckett and my mom know, I’m at Piper’s house right now, because Piper, Sienna, and I had a sleepover there last night. Aspen’s sick—I think that she’s got mono or something (but then again, I’m no doctor), but she has this really weird fear of going to the doctor whenever she’s sick because she always thinks that they’re gonna give her a shot, so she hasn’t been yet, but she’s in pretty terrible shape, so I think that she’ll probably be going anytime soon. But yeah, she’s feeling pretty terrible, which is why I decided not to drag her into my little lie. Because had I done that, she would’ve had to leave the house and stay gone until morning and I didn’t want her to have to do that while she’s all deathly sick and whatnot, just to help me lie to my mom.

I hate lying to my mom, I really do, but it’s not like I could help it. I mean, she’s definitely not one of those lax parents that doesn’t mind letting her teenage daughter sleep over at her boyfriend’s house, so it’s not like I could outright ask for her permission to spend the night. So, really, you see, I had no other choice but to lie.

In the event that she does find out that I lied to her and wasn’t actually at Piper’s house last night, I’ve already concocted up a good back-up lie. I’m just going to tell her that yesterday afternoon, after therapy was over, I came to Graham’s house with him to tutor him in Theology, just like I always do. That part isn’t the lie though.

The lie is that after I finished tutoring him, I was going to leave and come home, but it started snowing and icing and the roads were way too slick for me to drive on, so I was forced to spend the night. She’ll be a little annoyed by it, I’m sure, but I’m pretty positive she’ll buy it.

“I think that you’re just being dramatic, as usual,” Graham teases.

“I am not—my mom is actually pretty ruthless and mean when she wants to be,” I reason. “Anyways, are you excited about today?”