Chapter 26 | Thank God That's Over

“Do you ever put your arms out and just spin and spin and spin? Well, that’s what love is like. Everything inside of you tells you to stop before you fall, but you just keep going.” ― Practical Magic

So it goes, he can’t keep his wild eyes on the road

Takes me home, the lights are off, he’s taking off his coat

I say, “I head—oh!—that you been out and about with some other girl (some other girl).”

He says, “What you heard is true, but I can’t stop thinking about you.”

And I, I said, “I’ve been there too a few times.”

You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye

And I got that red lip classic thing that you like

And when we go crashing down, we come back every time

Cause we never go out of style

We never go out of style

“Are you deaf or something?” Beckett asks, bursting into my bedroom all of a sudden.

“I’ve mastered the art of blocking people out when I’m listening to Taylor Swift,” I explain, picking my iPhone up and pausing Style, which, in case you’ve been living under a rock, is a song from Taylor’s perfectly amazing and wonderfully flawless new album, 1989.

“Well, blocking people out isn’t very safe, you know—there could have been an emergency or something,” Beckett informs me then. “What are you painting?” He asks, glancing down at my art easel, which has a stretched white canvas on it that I’m almost done with.

When I woke up this morning (at around 5 o’clock, which is weird, because I was up talking to Graham on the phone until about 3 o’clock, so I don’t know how the heck I’m running on just two hours of sleep, but I am) I was in the mood to do some painting. I haven’t done any sort of art in a while, mostly because I’ve been lacking motivation, but when I woke up, I knew exactly what I wanted to paint.

Valentine’s Day is in just five days (although, for Graham and me, our “make-up Valentine’s Day,” as he’s insisting on calling it, is in six days) and I decided that I should probably start working on getting him a gift. Are girlfriends supposed to get their boyfriends gifts for Valentine’s Day? I mean, I would imagine so. It just seems so strange and stupid for a boyfriend to just buy his girlfriend chocolate or roses or whatever and then get nothing in return. Have I mentioned how dumb of a “holiday” I think Valentine’s Day is? Because I think that it’s stupid. Like, you should show your girl or guy how much you love them every day, not just one random day in February.

Admittedly though, I am kind of excited for this whole “make-up Valentine’s Day” thing. I did tell Graham last night though that he doesn’t have to go all out and make it a huge extravagant thing. I mean, I literally told him that I’d be perfectly fine with us just going to Mandarin Chinese (that’s this super cute Chinese restaurant that’s down in Worcester, the town that my grandparents live in, and the food there is just so good) and then going to see a movie or something small like that. He told me that he already has the whole night planned out for us though and to not worry because it isn’t “too over the top,” as he said. You never really know with him though.

“It’s a picture for Graham,” I tell him, pulling my earbuds out of my ears and then setting my paintbrush down in the tray on my easel.

I think that I have some sort of problem where I can’t focus on two different things at once, so I know that I’m not going to be able to talk to my brother and work on this painting without messing up. I’ve been working on it for about four hours now, so if I messed up now, I would most definitely break down and cry.