Chapter 28 | Storms Don't Last Always

“Love is passion, obsession, someone you can’t live without. If you don’t start with that, what are you going to end up with? Fall head over heels. I say find someone you can love like crazy and who’ll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I’m not hearing any heart. Run the risk, if you get hurt, you’ll come back. Because the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love – well, you haven’t lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven’t tried, you haven’t lived.” ― Meet Joe Black

“Good morning, Mommy!” I chirpily exclaim, bursting into my mother’s bedroom and kicking the door shut with my foot.

“Good morning, Sawyer,” She replies, glancing over at me from where she’s laying in her king-sized bed, watching Law and Order: SVU.

“I made you breakfast,” I tell her, gesturing down to the breakfast tray I’m holding in my hands that’s full of her most favorite breakfast foods. “And please notice how the pancakes are heart-shaped and how the bacon pieces are arranged into a smiley face,” I note, walking over to the side of her bed and handing the tray to her. “And I even made you a blueberry muffin, because I know that those are you favorite,” I add before walking back around her bed and getting in on the other side under the duvet. Wow, I sure hope Tom didn’t sleep right here when he was here.

“Thank you,” My mom laughs, giving me a strange, sideways look. “I kind of feel like you want something though,” She admits after a second.

“Why would you assume that?” I ask, raising my eyebrows. “I just wanted to do something nice for my amazing mommy who I love so dearly.”

“You do realize that my birthday isn’t for five months and Mother’s Day isn’t for another three, right?” She asks, still looking at me like I’m crazy.

“The fact that you’re acting like there has to be a special occasion for me to bring my mom breakfast in bed is actually super offensive,” I state.

“Okay, okay, okay, I’m sorry,” She apologizes, putting her hands up in surrender. “Thank you for making me breakfast—that was nice of you.”

“Yeah, I know it was,” I chime with a grin. “I’m a really nice person,” I inform her matter-of-factly before directing my attention to the television.

My mother is basically obsessed with Law and Order: Special Victims Unit and I really just don’t understand why. It’s just so incredibly graphic and explicit and most of the episodes are scarily creepy. Not to mention the fact that Stabler’s not even on the show anymore—he was definitely the greatest part about the show. I mean, Benson’s cool too, but she was cooler with Stabler. I used to watch the show with her sometimes, but after the whole Flynn incident, it just seemed so weird to watch people have to act like they’d gone through what I actually did go through.

I know that my mom just accused me of only making her breakfast because I wanted something and I know that I led her to believe that that wasn’t true at all, but it actually is. I mean, I’m really not the type of girl who likes to cook, especially for other people, so if I get up at the crack of dawn to make you heart shaped pancakes and very berry blueberry muffins and bacon and eggs benedict, you better believe I want something. I know that my mom isn’t going to take lightly what I’m about to tell her though, so I thought that the breakfast would soften her up. 

Today is February 15th, aka the day after Valentine’s Day and the day of my make-up Valentine’s Day with Graham. Even though he was back here in town yesterday thanks to the car accident on Sunday, we decided that we’d still celebrate Valentine’s Day today instead of on the actual day. I’m still totally in the dark about what’s going to happen tonight though, because I haven’t been able to get anything out of Graham or my friends. Yesterday, I got so desperate for information that I called Halden, Graham’s best friend, and tried to get information from him. He was no help though—he said that he knew nothing, but I’m eighty-three percent sure he was lying and actually knows everything Graham’s planning.