Chapter 40: The Ghosts in the Woods

"What is wrong with you?"

I decided to leave the dinner after my great and life-changing revelation. I almost regretted it! The foods served for the dinner were completely delectable and I wanted to taste them all but the prolonged speech that took the place of a grateful prayer made me lose my appetite. I guessed I would take the grilled meat and fish anytime for as long as I like the company with me on the table.

I saw my mother stood from her seat at the corner of my eyes and few seconds later, I heard her hurried steps following me. She pulled me back by my arm and I braced myself for a mild confrontation.

"They asked for a story, I gave them one," I answered casually. I felt the need to be cautious in dealing with her. Considering how loyal she was to the mainland and favour of the Westons, she might not take my side.

"Regardless of it being true, you were disrespectful back there. Have you forgotten who you're talking with?"

I wasn't able to answer right away because of the sudden realization that hit me. I looked at her frowning.

"You knew? All this years, you knew that Threy was alive and now a pirate?" I asked.

This caught her off-guard. Suddenly, the table was turned - I was now the one confronting her with my probing eyes. Before I could ask another question, my father approached us and he looked completely unhappy.

"Adelene, Primrose," he called.

I waited until he was only few steps from us. He regarded me with disappointment in his eyes before turning to my mother.

"Send Primrose back to her room. We will leave early tomorrow morning," he announced.

"Father -" I almost protested. The thought that I would be moving farther away from the sea deepened the cut inside my chest.

"We'll discuss your behaviour once we get back home, young lady. For now, I'll just tell them that you're stressed and pressured in your defence. Being held captive for a long time must have taken a toll in you," he said.

I didn't answer. I just turned my back to my parents and walked to the room with a heavy heart. To my surprise, I fell asleep right away the moment I hit the bed. Maybe my body missed the steadiness, the softness and comfort of my surrounding that it succumbed to this temptation. When I woke up, my mother was already inside the room and preparing the clothes I should be wearing. I stayed with Tarnus and the guards and soldiers of the East Land while my parents talked with Lord Magnus and the other representatives of the other lands. They assumed that I wouldn't be able to handle formal meetings for now because of my condition. And as I met the eyes of those people who were present during dinner the other night, I had come to realize that they thought I had gone crazy.

But I wasn't and I was perfectly myself when I said what I had said the other night. Whatever they fed the people about the disappearance of Threy Weston, they were all lies. Hopefully, I shook some sense into them with my announcement and people would start to wonder about the real story behind it. And as for myself, even though I had spent time with the missing Threy Weston in the pirate world, his reasons of leaving the mainland was still vague for me. I was hoping that this bomb I dropped in front of them would somehow lead me to answers. I had vowed to the Skull that I would be brave - I would be brave until we meet again.

After almost half an hour of saying their farewells, my parents finally joined us and settled on the large carriage. They demanded that I should sit with them inside but I had already chosen a fine stallion so I insisted that I would be riding with Tarnus. The latter assured them that I would be safe with him and having a great confidence with my friend's abilities, they allowed us to travel outside.